Beliefnet may fire writer because she wants the word "feminist" in her bio

Is the word "feminist" inherently offensive or an affront?

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 3:50 PM on Feb. 23, 2013 in Religious Debate

• Personally, I think the word "feminist" is neutral. I don't understand why it would be a problem. However, when you write, you have to conform to what the publication or Web site is looking for. They're paying for your services. If you want to do something different, you have to find a place to publish that accepts what you wish to say.

Some people have issues with the word "feminist" because they look back to the days, if those days ever existed, when the ideal for women was to be the keepers of the home, the nurturers of the family. I think those days were largely an image, not grounded in reality, since some women have always fitted willingly into that role, and some have been burdened with it and wanted something different for themselves.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 3:55 PM on Feb. 23, 2013

• It's only offensive to the fringe, in my opinion. And, while I'm on that subject, the fringe tends to find offense in most everything.

It's interesting that when asked why they didn't like the word, why they found it offensive, it was because they literally didn't like the WORD, not the philosophy behind it (although I'm sure, if pressed, that would be a whole other ballgame)

That boggles the mind.
    Mrs_Prissy

Answer by Mrs_Prissy at 3:57 PM on Feb. 23, 2013

• I am not bothered by words. The meaning behind the word is where I may or may not have a problem
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 8:53 PM on Feb. 23, 2013

• Wasn't Beliefnet taken over by Evangelicals a while back?
    MamaK88

Answer by MamaK88 at 8:58 PM on Feb. 24, 2013

• Yep, been going steadily downhill ever since. Now they don't even like you if you're Christian unless you're the "right" kind.
    NotPanicking

Comment by NotPanicking (original poster) at 9:20 PM on Feb. 24, 2013