China's new plan to conquer Tibetan Buddhists: Christian missionaries

Seems timely in light of the recent debates this week:

Going undercover, the evangelists taking Jesus to Tibet

Is "spreading the word" more imporant than knowingly being a cog in the wheel of what the Dalai Lama refers to as "cultural genocide"?

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 4:03 PM on Feb. 23, 2013 in Religious Debate

• Very timely.

If you loudly and enthusiastically decry what happened to the indigenous people of this country, or to Africans who were enslaved then I would expect that you'd equally disgusted by this turn of events. Right?

It's reprehensible. As far as I'm concerned, these missionaries are no less guilty of crimes against humanity than the Chinese government, who has brutalized Tibetan Buddhists for so long.
    Mrs_Prissy

Answer by Mrs_Prissy at 4:09 PM on Feb. 23, 2013

• Gotta conquer all those "others" somehow, right? The sooner the better!!
    I can just hear the "prayers" now...."please help us to conquer these godless people. Help us be the crusaders for Jesus that we know we are!!"
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 4:22 PM on Feb. 23, 2013

• I have extreme moral and ethical objections to the use of Christian missionaries as a cultural wrecking ball to ruin the indigious beliefs of Tibetan Buddhists. I wouldn't support such work, which isn't about doing human good at all. Shame on the Chinese government for encouraging it!
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 4:23 PM on Feb. 23, 2013

• I wonder if they even realize that as if they manage to make enough inroads to allow China to literally bulldoze the monasteries, they're throwing all the Christians out on their asses too?
    NotPanicking

Comment by NotPanicking (original poster) at 4:23 PM on Feb. 23, 2013

• "I have extreme moral and ethical objections to the use of Christian missionaries as a cultural wrecking ball to ruin the indigious beliefs of Tibetan Buddhists"

So then, where do you personally draw the line. It the macro level, ALL missionary work is a cultural wrecking ball. You're taking an outside group with dramatically different cultural norms/agendas/and expectations and infiltrating other cultures. How does a small, say, African or Central American village differ, in your mind, from the Buddhists?
    Mrs_Prissy

Answer by Mrs_Prissy at 5:15 PM on Feb. 23, 2013

• How does a small, say, African or Central American village differ, in your mind, from the Buddhists?

China is deliberately inviting in missionaries of a different religion to undermine the Buddhist way of life. Missionaries typically go to places around the world to solve serious, life-threatening economic and medical problems, which the Tibetan Buddhists aren't having.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 5:27 PM on Feb. 23, 2013

• China is deliberately inviting in missionaries of a different religion to undermine the Buddhist way of life.

No, it's not, it's simply turning a blind eye to them instead of prosecuting them like they normally would. The missionaries are planning these trips entirely on their own.
    NotPanicking

Comment by NotPanicking (original poster) at 5:27 PM on Feb. 23, 2013

• "No, it's not, it's simply turning a blind eye to them instead of prosecuting them like they normally would. The missionaries are planning these trips entirely on their own."

True.

Also, Ballad, you didn't answer my question at all. Regardless of the reason why, regardless of who invited whom, how is missionary work any different in any locale based on the reasons I've stated above?
    Mrs_Prissy

Answer by Mrs_Prissy at 5:31 PM on Feb. 23, 2013

• " solve serious, life-threatening economic and medical problems"

I should reiterate where my question is coming from. You stated in another thread that these things happen all the time and have happened since time began. Why do you feel it is appropriate for missionaries to insert themselves into the lives of an autonomous people, basing their "help" on cultural and societal norms than have NOTHING in common with those of the village?
    Mrs_Prissy

Answer by Mrs_Prissy at 5:34 PM on Feb. 23, 2013

• I have extreme moral and ethical objections to the use of Christian missionaries as a cultural wrecking ball to ruin the indigious beliefs of Tibetan Buddhists
    **************************************
    why such objections to the Tibetans? How are they different than anywhere else? Because essentially, missionaries are a wrecking ball into any culture they force themselves into.
    Regardless of the schools they build, or the water they provide or the food they provide, they are still ruining a cultural way of life.
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 5:44 PM on Feb. 23, 2013