Pinching. . . . .

My daughter is 6 months old and has recently figured out that she can pinch. I know that she doesn't do it to be mean but it hurts and she has left bruises on my neck and arms from pinching them. I tell her no and pull her hand away and she laughs and does it again. Any suggestions on how to get her to stop this?

anglgrl03

Asked by anglgrl03 at 10:55 AM on Feb. 15, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• When she pinches grab and move her hand and sharply tell her no. Tone of voice is normally what gets them. On the third time set her somewhere safe away from you for at least 5 minutes. Teach her it isn't acceptable.
    ColleenF30

Answer by ColleenF30 at 12:16 PM on Feb. 15, 2009

• I'd agree, but put her down immediately, the first time. Babies that age don't get the concept of "3 times = punishment". Punishment has to happen every time - the first time and the second and the third.
    Say no, then put her down. She'll start to understand after you do that 5-10 times - don't expect immediate success - she's very young.
    3gymnastsmom

Answer by 3gymnastsmom at 12:37 PM on Feb. 15, 2009

• well one, when she does it, dont react to it.. that is what she is looking for, a reaction.. its like cause and effect to a baby... she is thinking... oh my fingers move like this, so if i do this to mommy what will happen. just remove her or sit her on the floor.... and say no, doesnt have to be sharp... i just sit my son down and walk away and then when he cant see me, i rub my little owie... LOL
    sweetscrappin

Answer by sweetscrappin at 12:53 PM on Feb. 15, 2009

• When she does it grab her hand firmly and say "NO!". Keep holding her hand for a few seconds. If she does it again, repeat the process. If she keeps on, put her down. If she cries, too bad. If she's eating, put her down. If you're playing, put her down. If you're changing her, finish and put her down. Tell her firmly, no pinching! She'll quit, you have to be firm though.
    shmorris56

Answer by shmorris56 at 3:10 PM on Feb. 15, 2009