why is my 7 month old so stubborn? hes very picky about his foods.

I started my son last month on cereal and on his first foods, hes being very picky even at 7 months. he'll take maybe a tablespoon, if im lucky then he's done and hes a big boy, 27in long and 19 lbs. he loves his formula , which we now switched him off the Alimentum onto the GOod Start b/c he was colicky. but im worried he wont like any of the foods later on, or am i just paranoid> UGHH

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:14 AM on Feb. 15, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• If he has something that he does like, try mixing the stuff he doesn't like into it. With my son, we had to mix green beans and peas into another food that he liked, and now he'll eat the green beans and peas by themselves. Just keep trying. Good luck!
    happymom0724

Answer by happymom0724 at 11:38 AM on Feb. 15, 2009

• find the one food he does like, and mix it in with everything.. when i started my son on cereal at just before his 4th month, i made his cereal with formula, now its just plain warm water and bananas stirred in, or sweet potatoes, or what ever he likes.. he is not a picky eater.. but i will say this.. babies up to one year can survive just fine on formula... so dont panic, or be paranoid, just take a deep breath and say... " my son just doesn't need this yet" and try later.. as long as you are giving him formula, he will be fine. if he starts to refuse that.. then call your ped, but there is no rush to feed your baby foods just cause a book says, or a doctor says that you can start, some start early, some late.. i can tell you that my son is not fond of blueberries, but loves prunes, i think that is his fav.
    sweetscrappin

Answer by sweetscrappin at 12:17 PM on Feb. 15, 2009

• I wouldn't like cereal either . . . have you ever tasted that sutff? But honestly, rice cereal is pure filler and has little nutritional value (and can actually cause tummy problems, as it did with my DD. I regret ever giving it to her). Have you considered giving him real foods yet? Apples, sweet potatoes, avacado and bananas are a great place to start (one at a time, of course). And he might just be picky! DD hated green beans. I would spend the time to make them for her (I home made most of our baby food) and she absolutely HATED them. I kept offering for months--sometimes it can take up to 15 times until your LO will eat a certain food. She never did like baby food green beans, but when they're in their whole form, she loves em! (go figure :~) ) HTH and pm me if you would like some info on making your own baby food.
    epoh

Answer by epoh at 1:17 PM on Feb. 15, 2009

• Give him what he likes and keep offering the veggies. He'll get used to them eventually and then he'll like them better. He's 7 mos so he's probably near to ready for finger food if he isn't now. Once he can grab and pick up small objects and get them into his mouth, he's ready. Give him cheerios, canned veggies, cooked potatoes, pasta and anything else you want to. My kids started liking veggies when they could pick them up and eat them on their own. Good luck to you.
    shmorris56

Answer by shmorris56 at 3:07 PM on Feb. 15, 2009