When is to early to have a date night after having a baby?

Hi my baby is almost 4 months old we tried a date night it didnt go so well my baby sitter didnt no how to handle a difficult situation with my little baby boy she called me he was screaming bloody murder i never herd him scream and cry that loud it scared the crap out of me now i feel like i never wanna leave him with any one hes also my first child and i cherish my little guy i feel like im not ever gonna let anyone beside my hubby take care of him. lol idk maybe im making it a bigger deal then it is lol just a worried mommy

navywife234

Asked by navywife234 at 7:38 PM on Feb. 23, 2013 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Do you want an over clingy baby without spending alone time with your DH? He'll cry at the beginning but he'll eventually warm up to a sitter. Don't worry so much!
    anestheticsex

Answer by anestheticsex at 7:41 PM on Feb. 23, 2013

• My parents and in laws live close - both of which I feel very comfortable with, so we went out early. You just need to find an experienced sitter that you trust. Ask friends. The best thing you can do for your child is to love their father, nurture that relationship. (You can have a quiet date night at home too!)

Answer by missanc at 7:43 PM on Feb. 23, 2013

• Ummm. Perhaps you should accustom the babysitter to your baby. Have them babysit while you are home.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 7:55 PM on Feb. 23, 2013

• Find a more experienced sitter and try another date night. It doesn't have to be along one. Just an hour to start maybe, and see how it goes. A lot of moms, especially first timers, have difficulty leaving their babies, but it will do him good in the long run to have a rested mother who has kept the relationship with his dad strong and happy.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 7:56 PM on Feb. 23, 2013

• You need to find the right person to watch your baby. Someone who knows how to take care of a baby.

Answer by louise2 at 8:19 PM on Feb. 23, 2013

• hey thank you laddies i think i will give it another try my baby is around her alot shes my neighbor the baby sitter but i should start off little bit at a time
    navywife234

Comment by navywife234 (original poster) at 8:42 PM on Feb. 23, 2013

• Well, my first date night was when DS was about 3 weeks old (left him with my SIL - she is an amazing mom and aunt), so I think you are well past the "too early" point. But I did find it helpful to train the babysitters before I left my son with them. I'd have them come for at least a day or two (few hours) while I was home so I can show them the ropes and give DS a chance to get to know them a little while I got things done around the house. And even then, when I left them alone I did have the sitter call me once because he was screaming and wouldn't stop - turns out he had a little reaction to the new lotion I had put on him before leaving. That's okay. She handled the situation right by calling me.

I'd suggest taking the time to find an experienced sitter and getting to know her well enough to trust her. And then, enjoy your time with your man knowing that she will call if you are needed.
    Sebbiemama

Answer by Sebbiemama at 9:01 PM on Feb. 23, 2013

• You're nowhere near too early. Four DAYS... that woulda been too early! The sitter was not competent.

Answer by gdiamante at 12:29 AM on Feb. 24, 2013

• These are normal feelings to have. I was the same way with my first. Maybe you could start out by leaving him with the sitter for shorter periods, so she can get used to him and you can feel more comfortable. Do that a few times and then try another date night.
    newmomma14

Answer by newmomma14 at 12:36 AM on Feb. 24, 2013

• For us it is a year before baby goes anywhere without us. We breastfeed and prefer no bottles.
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 10:57 PM on Feb. 25, 2013