Do you hit yourself when you are angry?

I hit my leg when Im angry or stressed out. My life is crap right now and Im stressed and lonely, so it makes me angry. I do it mostly because I am mad at myself for my life being crap. And, I cant just fix things and make it all better either. Also, I have no health insurance so I cant seek counseling. I need to stop because I do have bruising on my leg. If you have done this, how have you handled it or what made you stop.

Kim370

Asked by Kim370 at 10:04 PM on Feb. 23, 2013 in Health

• No. My son used to do that when he was younger. I usually suggest some other kind of outlet for his frustration. When I get angry I try to use my energy for something positive, like cleaning. I think it would be useful to figure out what you have control over in your life, and how much control you have over the things that make you angry and stop punishing yourself for things beyond your control. If you feel the need to punish yourself, then try to make your punishments sometng that will work for you In the end.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 10:18 PM on Feb. 23, 2013

• No. Never.
    Punch a pillow, go for a run, rearrange the furniture, scrub the toilet or shower. Re-direct the energy into something useful.
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 12:21 AM on Feb. 24, 2013

• No, I can't say I ever have.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 11:51 PM on Feb. 23, 2013

• i never have done that

if you can not afford therapy that insurance pays for
    is there a support group you can attend

hugs
    find some help
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 11:54 PM on Feb. 23, 2013

• No never. Sounds like you may need an activity that relieves stress.
    Princess_s21

Answer by Princess_s21 at 3:35 AM on Feb. 24, 2013

• buy a punching bag and strike that instead
    LostSoul88

Answer by LostSoul88 at 10:13 PM on Feb. 23, 2013

• First have all you need to march right over to you mirror and tell yourself you are not crap. You are a decent person. Say two more nice things about yourself and repeat these while looking yourself in the eye evertime you pass a mirror. You are not crap. Yes you can change some things in your life but the first is to believe in yourself and you do not need someone else to tell you that and you do not need money or anything else to affirm it.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 10:31 PM on Feb. 23, 2013

• My son does that when he's frustrated w/ his video game. I swear he's probably got a permanent bruise on the top of his leg. I personally don't abuse myself in that way. I have other self destructive things to do when I'm really mad. It usually involves drinking & smoking. To each his own, right?! :p

mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 10:32 PM on Feb. 23, 2013

• When I was a depressed, suicidal teenager I would slap the inside of my upper arm with my finger tips. It stung and left bruises.

But no, that was a LONG time ago. Sounds like you should look into healthcare. It might be more affordable than you think. There are free counseling programs out there. Check the welfare office.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 10:36 PM on Feb. 23, 2013

• I never hit myself. When I became stressed or frustrated, I start reciting the verses of Holy Qur'an.
    kity-bity

Answer by kity-bity at 11:18 PM on Feb. 23, 2013