Saw a post in Confessions, got me thinking- would you have survived to your current age without modern medicine?

I would've died years ago! I got bad strep throat at least once a year until I was about 14, & then an ER worthy case of tonsillitis. Those probably would've done me in without antibiotics. If my body had managed to fight them off, I would most likely have died trying to birth DD, because of how bad her hydrocephalus was. She'd have just stuck. What about you?

KA91

Asked by KA91 at 11:57 PM on Feb. 23, 2013 in Just for Fun

• at 15 had car accident, they saved my foot, but without medical intervention of today- dead

childbirth, 100% total placenta previa, without c section- dead

betting there are others, too tired to think of them

fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 12:01 AM on Feb. 24, 2013

• I guess it would have depended on how modern the medicine but yes I would have died of something more than likely. I was accident prone and had anger issues. I might have died with the tonsils as well. They took them out finally when I was 14 and they were pressing on the airway so I have to assume I would not have fought the infection of and survived. My dad told me more than once I was not goingto survive to see my 18th birthday at the rate I was going. LOL.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 12:04 AM on Feb. 24, 2013

• Yup I would. I have only ever had colds *knock on wood

cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 12:05 AM on Feb. 24, 2013

• Definitely not. I was born a little over three months premature, weighed two pounds and two ounces, barely survived in an incubator for a couple of months. I lost my eyesight, but I feel lucky because I made it through without anything else wrong with me.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 12:06 AM on Feb. 24, 2013

• between asthma and a burst appendix as an adult - I doubt it
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 12:06 AM on Feb. 24, 2013

• When I was in labor and had to have a c-section, my doctor told me that both my son and I would have died if we lived when c-sections didn't exist. 

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 12:07 AM on Feb. 24, 2013

• Probably. I'm generally pretty healthy (save for the occasional cold). Only ever been in the hospital for childbirth which were pretty easy and routine.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 12:12 AM on Feb. 24, 2013

My doctor told me something similar. He said a hundred years ago, he would have looked my boyfriend in the eyes and asked which one of us to save, me or my daughter, because she was hopelessly stuck in the birth canal and couldn't have been taken alive except if I had been irreparably cut.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 12:12 AM on Feb. 24, 2013

• Definitely would not have survived childbirth and it occurred to me at the time. I am very thankful for modern medicine.
    tessiedawg

Answer by tessiedawg at 12:13 AM on Feb. 24, 2013

• No, was hospitalized for asthma and pneumonia as a child, with my first son I had toxemia and had an emergency c-section, then I had a tubal pregnancy that ruptured. If I'd made it to 23, the tubal pregnancy would have killed me for sure.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 12:15 AM on Feb. 24, 2013