SHOULD A TODDLER BE ON A DIET??

MY TWO YEAR OLD WEIGHS 43 POUNDS AND THE DOCTOR HAS PUT HIM A STRICT DIET. TELL ME IS THIS NORMAL

calaloni

Asked by calaloni at 11:36 AM on Feb. 15, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Um...it's not normal for a 2 year old to weigh 43lbs. How tall is he? If he's tall (around 40+ inches) then he's just a big boy and tall, too.

If he's an average height for a 2 year old and weighs that much, then he probably does need some closer monitoring of his diet.

What is the difference between a typical day before the diet and a typical day on the diet?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:38 AM on Feb. 15, 2009

• yes,no. you should always give your toddler healthy choices but I don't think its right tonot let them eat if they are hungry.
    Precious333

Answer by Precious333 at 11:39 AM on Feb. 15, 2009

• My daughter is 3 years old and only weighs 28 pounds... She is a very small girl. Is your son off the charts on weight? But on the charts for height? If your doctor thinks that he is over weight, for his height... and for what his age group is normally supposed to weigh. Then I wouldn't be against it. Being overweight can come with serious health problems..
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:41 AM on Feb. 15, 2009

• hmmm. i've never heard of that, but if the dr says it's appropriate. are you and dad big people? is your boy fat or chunky, tall and "big boned"? does he eat whatever he wants? maybe the dr prescribed the diet more as a guideline for YOU, to keep his eating under control. you're the parent. keep that in mind even as you feel bullied into letting him have the 20 pack of mcnuggets. his health can be severely compromised by your poor parenting skills, if that's the case. so, be strong, stick to the diet the dr. gave, and get your boy moving. go to the park and walk together, turn off the tv and no videos or electronic games. 2 year olds need stimulation from real people, not just an electronic babysitter. have plenty of fresh fruits and veggies on hand. good luck!
    vickiathome

Answer by vickiathome at 11:42 AM on Feb. 15, 2009

• I read your journal post. It sounds like your DR is really concerned for your LO. It sound's like your DR has replaced not so healthy food items with healthier options. Also, you said in your journal that your LO has also been to a cardiologist. I think if you gave us more of a background, we could help you more!
    nwdeserangel

Answer by nwdeserangel at 12:31 PM on Feb. 15, 2009

• At that weight and that age the doctor might be onto something.

Answer by gemgem at 12:35 PM on Feb. 15, 2009

• My tall 4 yr old only weights 40lbs. your 2 yr old needs to get out and play more. children ages 2-8 should be getting at least 60 mins of physical activity
    Anonymous

• Juice is usually the culprit in high daily caloric intake. If you try not to feed him anything prepackaged that should shed some calories and add nutritional value. This is not something anyone can do all the time, but try. Diets are for people overweight, I don't think age is a factor. I would make changes every week so he doesn't feel deprived and develops issue with food. Good Luck
    Farrahann

Answer by Farrahann at 1:06 PM on Feb. 15, 2009

• by the way he is soooo cute : )
    Farrahann

Answer by Farrahann at 1:10 PM on Feb. 15, 2009

• It would depend on his height. My DS is 16 months old and weighs 35 lbs but he's also 3 feet tall. His doctor said he's a big boy, but his weight and height are perfectly in proportion. He could actually gain about 3 lbs and still be fine. Are you tall? Is his father? I'd take that into consideration but also like other posters said, no juice! Try to stay away from sugary products and fast foods.
    sahm_krystal33

Answer by sahm_krystal33 at 1:25 PM on Feb. 15, 2009