Any homeschoolers here?

How old are your children and what is your daily teaching routine?/Hours/lessons/breaks etc?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:43 AM on Feb. 15, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• my mom and my step mom homeschool... my kids are too young right now. My mom does schedules. My stepmom made a schedule, but has not been very consistant about it. And of course they do other activities so every day does not look the same. For instance my mom teaches biblestudy on Wednesdays so they have to adjust their schedule for that.
    Precious333

Answer by Precious333 at 11:51 AM on Feb. 15, 2009

• My kids are 9 & 11 and we've been homeschooling for 6 years. We school year-round, going lighter in the summer. We take breaks as needed. We spend about 2-3 hours 4 days a week on "sit work". One day a week the kids spend the day with our homeschool group doing various activities and projects. My kids have most afternoons free to pursue their individual interests.

You may want to check out the group Happy Homeschoolers. They have over 4000 members on CM.
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 11:52 AM on Feb. 15, 2009

• I homeschool/unschool.

my son is five and advanced, so to balance the fact that he is operating on a second to sixth grade level I keep it VERY laid back and minimal.

every day we do grammar, but just work with one sentence a week, with a different daily task, such as identifying all the common, proper, and possessive nouns in the weeks sentence (Mon) IDing interjections and adjectives (Tue) IDing helping and linking verbs (Wed) sentence type (thur) and then on Friday he writes the sentence with correct capitalization and punctuation (it's presented all week with neither) some weeks introduce other grammar concepts, like the understood "you" in an imperative sentence. this work only takes 5-15 minutes a day.

for math we have an only website where we do 20 questions a day which review what he's already learned about time and money math, odds and evens, fractions, venn diagrams, skip counting, estimation,

TBC
    autodidact

Answer by autodidact at 2:01 PM on Feb. 15, 2009

• . . . continued

and we've been working on place values to one hundred thousand. I've found a couple sites online that approach place value from different angles, which has been helpful in getting my son to truly understand it. Every day I also have him do one math problem subtracting one six digit number from another, using borrowing. we're taking our time at this stage to be sure that he really grasps this.

He gets spelling practice when he's playing on the computer: he does his own google searches and types titles and level names for the games he plays online. when he doesn't know how to spell a word I have him try and correct him if he makes an error, and tell him why (two consonants follow a short vowel, for example). but he's a big reader and a visual speller, so he does really well on his own.

He takes a science class (his favorite subject) and a storytelling/acting class once a week.

TBC
    autodidact

Answer by autodidact at 2:12 PM on Feb. 15, 2009

• . . . continued

we mostly unschool for social studies at this point, discussing holidays, civics and society as he has questions or an opportunity presents itself to discuss those things.

we will begin history next year, following the classical model of teaching world history chronologically.

he reads before bed every night, I'm also reading "The Magician's Newphew" to him right now, and we read poetry, fables, and greek and roman myths from online and book sources.

we play educational games a lot. sometimes we do a bit of Latin from an online source, it's great for him to see how much of our language originates there, and that different languages follow different conventions. (noun before adjective)

we will add more structure as he gets older but for now he's thriving on our very laid-back style of schooling.
    autodidact

Answer by autodidact at 2:19 PM on Feb. 15, 2009

• I just started homeschooling again. My kids are older, but one has Aspergers. We start with Math because they are more attentive to it first thing in the morning. We work through the morning taking breaks as needed. In our state we have to do 4.5 hours a day 180 days a year. Check with your state to see if they have a law like this.

Other than that, I keep it pretty relaxed. They do their reading in the living room, math at the dining room table, work on workbooks, use the computer for language and music. (Smartmusic is a great resource if you don't already use it).

Since my kids lose interest after lunch, I save art and science lab projects for then. They need hands on in the afternoon.

Scheduling is all about figuring your child out. See when they work better and when they can't attend and build from there. It always helps to get the harder stuff out of the way early, IMO.
    yakara77

Answer by yakara77 at 2:46 PM on Feb. 15, 2009

• My kids are 10, 6, 5, & 2. We don't have a routine. My oldest works independently --- I go over his lessons with him, he takes them to a quiet part of the house, and does them. My younger boys play PC learning games and practice on dry-erase boards while the little one is awake. When she takes a nap or when my oldest is done with his work, then the younger boys might work in a few workbooks a while.

If the weather is nice, we have condensed school, have a field trip day, or skip it alltogether. If there are interesting programs on the History Ch or Discovery Ch, then that is our school for that particular day.

We try to take advantage of whatever alternative learning opportunity that arises ---- textbooks are so dull! LOL
    Laura1229

Answer by Laura1229 at 12:29 AM on Feb. 16, 2009