Should we continue to keep up those who won't work?

You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friend, is about the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it."
~~~~~ The late Dr. Adrian Rogers, 1931 - 2005

lifeasinoit

Asked by lifeasinoit at 11:47 AM on Feb. 15, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

•  

ALL WE REALLY NEED TO KNOW........................

mustbeGRACE

Answer by mustbeGRACE at 11:53 AM on Feb. 15, 2009

• Whatever happens, happens...
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:57 AM on Feb. 15, 2009

• OP-

This is the kind of CHANGE this country cannot afford!!! Great quote!

LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 12:07 PM on Feb. 15, 2009

• AMEN!!! So true! Welfare was set up as a temporary help, NOT a generational career! Just like a NObama supporter said at one of his campaign rallies, "Now I won't have to pay my rent..."! What a travesty! We have raised a lazy, entitled generation!
    blessed5x

Answer by blessed5x at 12:14 PM on Feb. 15, 2009

• While I completely agree with this quote, I am very grateful right now for the unemployment payments I am getting. It's only been a couple months and I am looking for another job as well as working on getting some of my writing published. However, the little boost has been very helpful considering my husband is only in his second year of his accounting business, and things are still tight. Hopefully this tax season will change that. I am also very grateful for medicaid for my kids right now. When I lost my job and the health insurance (COBRA was way too expensive) I was worried sick that something would happen. They are all very healthy, but I figured w/ my luck that would be when something happened. My point is that helping people who truly need it is fine, but the current system is broken & people don't use it for a hand up, but just a hand out. That needs to change.

Anonymous

• I agree with the quote too. My husband and my son in law are both out of work at the moment though and there arent any jobs anywhere. Theyve applied at mcdonalds and every other fast food place, along with factories etc. I dont think because the economy sucks and jobs have disappeared people should be left in the cold. Were not on TANF or any other state program bc we saved money BUT that savings will run out and we still wont have jobs unless they are brought back or created. Something needs to be done. You cant turn your back on those like us who are in this position because some companies decided to move to Mexico or Pakistan.
    Anonymous

• To the previous Anons......you are exactly what our welfare system was set up for. To HELP, NOT to SUPPORT! We pay more in taxes than most make in a year, and my tax dollars going to help folks like you all, is exactly what the system is all about and I'm all for it. It's ALL those that use the system to SUPPORT them. ALSO, we should NEVER allow illegals ANY benefits....NONE! And as long as NObama's bill goes through, it is only going to get worse!!!!!!! My prayers are with us all. Hugs to you and yours!
    blessed5x

Answer by blessed5x at 12:36 PM on Feb. 15, 2009

• Anon 12:17 and Anon 12:31, you have perfect right to claim those benefits that are being offered. I, like you, have been in the place to need these benefits and used them temporarily. I work for a company that every year has a lay off and for the next few months I get unemployment. I am thankful for those funds, at the same time, my husband and myself also pay IN taxes during the year. Isn't that a more fair program? If you pay in, then you are able to qual for help when you need it? That was the original intent. :) Never apologize for taking the help.

You'll just find that there are too many "career" poor in this country and that burns my butt. The Bible says that the poor will always be with us, but we must re-define what and who are considered to be the REAL poor in this country.
    lifeasinoit

Answer by lifeasinoit at 12:38 PM on Feb. 15, 2009

• My husband and I own a small company. We pay a huge amount of taxes every year through our business. We have take home pay that is only a fraction of what we pay in taxes.
    We would like for our company to grow and it would be necessary to hire more people to do so.
    The taxes we pay could employ a lot of new people.
    I don't disagree with paying taxes, I see it as a necessary evil.
    I also think that working people and/or those who absolutely cannot work must have a safety net.
    I would want one if we fell on hard times.
    That's why it is unfair that so many able -bodied people refuse to work or to make a plan for getting on their feet.
    So many people could live better lives if the government would stop taking so much out of everyone's paycheck. It's not just paychecks. It's property taxes, auto taxes, etc.,.
    And whatever happened to people deciding they will live within their means?
    mustbeGRACE

Answer by mustbeGRACE at 12:46 PM on Feb. 15, 2009

• Who are the REAL poor in this country? And you can't say those that make under a certain amount of money, b/c that' s the entire problem of our system. I have literally heard full grown able bodied men say "I have to keep my income to a certain level or we'll lose our food stamps, or EIC, etc." That a bust! I see women come in every day who know the EIC limits and they claim their "unemployment" to that limit. They KNOW the game and they play it well. Of course, the IRS is playing catch up with these folks this year, so I look forward to all those who won't ever be able to claim EIC again for 14 years. !!

Foreigners come into this country and are totally amazed at the lifestyle of our "poor" young families. I'm talking about those living trashy and filthy and "sorry" like my grandmother used to say, sitting around during the day, got plenty of money to smoke and/or drink and keeping up a sorry a** man. continued...
    lifeasinoit

Answer by lifeasinoit at 12:47 PM on Feb. 15, 2009