I had back surgery on 8th Feb 2013. I have been taking it fairly easy as per instructions. Now 2 weeks or so on, I ought to be doing more. Could I now be back on the housework?

Floss138

Asked by Floss138 at 8:58 AM on Feb. 24, 2013 in Health

• Ask your Doctor.
    DJDNY

Answer by DJDNY at 8:59 AM on Feb. 24, 2013

• Ask your doctor
    I'd say you could do the stuff that doesn't require alot of bending or lifting- like folding clothes,dishes

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 9:00 AM on Feb. 24, 2013

• I'd stay away from any heavy lifting or work that requires you bend or stand a lot. Better to let it heal fully than to possibly interfere with the progress, right? Lots of money was spent on the surgery and your body has become the investment. Protect it like you would an investment. Once it's healed fully imagine how much you could do versus still having back problems. Interfering with the healing process could cause irreversible damage. Just think about that.
    hellokittykat

Answer by hellokittykat at 9:12 AM on Feb. 24, 2013

• Ask your doctor.
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 9:23 AM on Feb. 24, 2013

• And don't vacuum! Ask your doctor.
    KPBMom

Answer by KPBMom at 9:24 AM on Feb. 24, 2013

• ^^ yes, vacuuming is really hard on your back
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 9:26 AM on Feb. 24, 2013

• This is a question for your Doc!!! Did they refer you to PT??
    Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 10:01 AM on Feb. 24, 2013

• What did your DOC tell you? I'm betting you're not to do a thing for several more weeks.

My husband had back surgery a few years ago and got too active at about two weeks in. It undid ALL the good of the surgery... he needs a cane or a walker now and he's 53.

The housework will WAIT. Your husband can do it. And never mind if he doesn't do it the way you would. Even housework done "incorrectly" is fine. No one worth knowing is going to give you a white glove test, especially when you're recovering from surgery.

Answer by gdiamante at 11:18 AM on Feb. 24, 2013

• After back surgery, and that soon after, I would still be taking it easy. Talk to your doc and see what they recommend.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 11:22 AM on Feb. 24, 2013

• You need to contact your doctor before resuming any activity outside of post op instructions. You should have been referred to physical therapy, and the therapist will also have restrictions for you as you ease back into everyday life. Do NOT rush back into activity, you will re-injure yourself and waste all the good the surgery was supposed to do for you.
    anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 11:38 AM on Feb. 24, 2013