I had back surgery on 8th Feb 2013. I have been taking it fairly easy as per instructions. Now 2 weeks or so on, I ought to be doing more. Could I now be back on the housework?

Floss138

Asked by Floss138 at 8:58 AM on Feb. 24, 2013 in Health

• It is good to stay busy, as long as you're not over-doing anything and feeling pain when you move. But, call your doctor just to make sure if you have questions. You need to keep your muscles strong by doing something.
    Ruthmom802

Answer by Ruthmom802 at 9:05 PM on Feb. 26, 2013

• Be careful not to undo what the surgery tried to fix. A friend of mine did that by getting too active too soon. Contact your doctor or rehab therapist for instructions.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 1:32 PM on Feb. 24, 2013

• What did your doctor say? I doubt you can do much. When My back went out. and I could not stand for very long. I use to wheel around in a computer chair. Cooked and cleaned the best I could sitting down.  I doubt you could vacum or do laundy or bend a lot.

Answer by louise2 at 11:39 AM on Feb. 24, 2013

• You need to contact your doctor before resuming any activity outside of post op instructions. You should have been referred to physical therapy, and the therapist will also have restrictions for you as you ease back into everyday life. Do NOT rush back into activity, you will re-injure yourself and waste all the good the surgery was supposed to do for you.
    anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 11:38 AM on Feb. 24, 2013

• After back surgery, and that soon after, I would still be taking it easy. Talk to your doc and see what they recommend.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 11:22 AM on Feb. 24, 2013

• What did your DOC tell you? I'm betting you're not to do a thing for several more weeks.

My husband had back surgery a few years ago and got too active at about two weeks in. It undid ALL the good of the surgery... he needs a cane or a walker now and he's 53.

The housework will WAIT. Your husband can do it. And never mind if he doesn't do it the way you would. Even housework done "incorrectly" is fine. No one worth knowing is going to give you a white glove test, especially when you're recovering from surgery.

Answer by gdiamante at 11:18 AM on Feb. 24, 2013

• This is a question for your Doc!!! Did they refer you to PT??
    Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 10:01 AM on Feb. 24, 2013

• ^^ yes, vacuuming is really hard on your back
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 9:26 AM on Feb. 24, 2013

• And don't vacuum! Ask your doctor.
    KPBMom

Answer by KPBMom at 9:24 AM on Feb. 24, 2013

• Ask your doctor.
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 9:23 AM on Feb. 24, 2013