Anyone else's kids had fiths disease?

Well, it's been a fustrating three weeks. My 1yo kept getting sick with fevers, pink eyes,really red cheeks, booger face and now the lacy red rash that it supposedly ends with. He seriously looks like he's suffering the plaugue. I know it can't be treated, but he just isn't himself and I feel so bad for him! I'm also worried for my three year old and my four week old. Everytime I hear a sniffle or a sneeze I'm all over it. I know it's no longer contagious after the rash breaks out, but before we knew he had fifths, he was around the other kids(it's hard to separate them that little!). It's scary, because it just looked like a little cold, and it's turned into an ugly monster of an ordeal in our household! I could really use some pointers from anyone who's made it through this!

Steff107

Asked by Steff107 at 12:53 PM on Feb. 15, 2009 in Kids' Health

• My sisters son had it, and my sister and I were both pregnant, so we had to get checked out because its really bad for the unborn child...everyone was fine it didn't last too long. Hang in there, at least they only get it once then they are immune :)
    ELC

Answer by ELC at 1:02 PM on Feb. 15, 2009

• My daughter had it when she was little and is no worse for the wear, she is 9 now. It looks alot worse that it is..lol My daughter was red all over, the ER Dr. actually accused me of putting her in scalding water, which is just absurd, her ears were even beat red. All we could do was treat the symptoms with tylenol and motrin, hang in there it will soon be just a bad memory.
    jordanmarie2000

Answer by jordanmarie2000 at 3:46 PM on Feb. 15, 2009

• http://kidshealth.org/parent/infections/skin/fifth.html is a great website with tons of info on fifth's. it goes thru our preschool every 1 or 2 years. that site says "Once infected with parvovirus B19, a person develops immunity to it and won't usually become infected again." since your child keeps getting it, it's worth further investigation. my daughter kept getting diagnosed with mono, something you should only have once. it turned out she really carries the epstein-barr virus, and that's what keeps causing the false-positives. maybe something like that is going on with your guy. check with your doctor - good luck!
    vickiathome

Answer by vickiathome at 6:40 PM on Feb. 15, 2009

• My kids have never had it, but I had it and let me tell you it is so much worse for adults than it is for children. Hopfully your child will be over it soon, and never have to deal with it again. You can only get it once, like chicken pox. Watch out for signs in You though. If you never had it, you can get it and it shows up in different ways in adults than it does in children. I had the joint pain so bad I couldn't move, and the rash too was all over my arms and legs.
    http://kids.emedtv.com/fifth-disease/adult-fifth-disease.html
    MomOfJandM

Answer by MomOfJandM at 1:32 PM on Feb. 16, 2009

• This is the third day. I wish I could help you but I feel the same way. Useless, just struggling setting the alarm so his fever does not spike. I give him Ibprofen generic brand tylenol. Motrin then 4 hours later tylnoyl. Lots of baths.

Give lots of water, popsicles, pretzels, soup. Hanging in there, it is horrible. I feel for you and wish you the best. Quick recovery..
    KFree907

Answer by KFree907 at 7:16 PM on Aug. 23, 2010