what did you do that saved money with your baby?

obviously breast feeding is a good way to save money, and cloth diapering but what else is a good way to save money?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:56 PM on Feb. 15, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I suggest reading the book 1000 Best Baby Bargains, by Kimberly Danger. It has a lot of great tips. Other than that, I agree with all of the previous posts.
    bethelann2004

Answer by bethelann2004 at 5:06 PM on Feb. 15, 2009

• Cloth diapering is iffy...you still have to spend time and money washing them.
    Anonymous

• Look at Craigslist.com for everything you may need. You can get some great deals on diapers, swings, bouncers, just about anything.
    Anonymous

• Babies grow out of their clothes quickly too, so don't buy a bunch of new stuff for them, see if there's a relative, neighbor, or someone that you know that had a baby and see if you can bum their old clothes off of them :)
    prettyrayray

Answer by prettyrayray at 1:04 PM on Feb. 15, 2009

• cloth diapering has saved me SO much money. I spent between $700 and $800 on disposable diapers and wipes in the first 7 months of DDs life. I spent $250 on cloth diapers and made my own wipes. The amount of water I use to wash them does not impact my bills the way that buying dispoables did.

Instead of using paper towels, use dish towels or smaller kitchen washclothes. Instead of using sponges and greenies use rags (I bought cloth dishrags for a small amount of money.) Intead of cleaning with toxic expensive cleaning products, you can clean most everything with baking soda, vinegar, and peroxide. Make meals from scratch instead of buying frozen/boxed/canned foods. Line dry laundry instead of paying for electricity. Get clothes, baby blankets, and toys from friends, consignment stores, freecycle, and craigslist.

I have saved a LOT of money doing all these things :~) Hope that helps
    epoh

Answer by epoh at 1:07 PM on Feb. 15, 2009

• I made my own baby food. Peel an apple or carrot or peas, etc. and puree in the food processor. Then you are not paying for advertising and the jar. You can store the food in old jars if needed for travel. When they got older, I chopped or pureed the same thing we were eating for dinner, but before spicing heavily. Saved a lot of money and homemade food tastes better anyway.

If you shop at places like Family Dollar you can get clothes very cheap. I just bought my grandson 2 pajama sets at $3 a piece, and 2 jacket and pants outfits at $4 a piece. Wal-Mart and Target have very good prices too.
    FlyMom07

Answer by FlyMom07 at 1:14 PM on Feb. 15, 2009

• hand me down clothes!!! we got so lucky, my niece was born exactly one year before my daughter so we were able to borrow all of her clothes and the seasons match perfectly. we've maybe spent $50 on clothes for my daughter!! also, if you dont have the luxury of hand-me downs, we shop at once upon a child. its basically a second hand baby store. they have everything!! and half the stuff in there still has the original tags!! its always in great condition and super cheap! i love that store!
    Amanduhpanda

Answer by Amanduhpanda at 1:26 PM on Feb. 15, 2009

• WIC(women, infant, children). There should be one in your neck of the woods. They're everywhere. A friend turned me onto this organization and I had no idea how much your family income could be and still qualify for this program. It's great! They give you coupons to get free formula, healthy cereals, peanut butter, carrots, milk, etc and you can continue until your child is 4yrs. All you have to do is provide immunization records for child and attend once a month nutrition meeting. I saved a ton doing this!
    Anonymous

• I breastfed and that alone saved a bunch of money. I did use sposies because we don't have a washer and dryer and leaving dirty diapers laying around for a week isn't appealing to me.
    LaurenKaye29

Answer by LaurenKaye29 at 2:01 PM on Feb. 15, 2009

• Well crap, you took my #1. Breastfeeding!
    Um, delaying solid foods (for your child's HEALTH) has the benefit of costing less, and is even cheaper if you make the stuff yourself which is SO easy.
    Buying as many things used (not carseats!) as you can is not only cheaper, but environmentally-friendly.
    Don't use paper towels or paper plates. You can wash dishes and rags and reuse them. Cheaper, and again, environmentally friendly.

Anonymous, WIC may save YOU money, but it doesn't save MONEY. It just costs taxpayer funds instead, and isn't something people should rely on when budgeting for a child.
    RanaAurora

Answer by RanaAurora at 2:07 PM on Feb. 15, 2009