help

my son is 7 and in 2nd grade he was delayed in his speech and couldnt read till the end of his 1st grade year, he has a really hard time counting and adding, he should be able to count too at least 100 and he doesnt. I talked to his teacher about my concerns and she said to com ein tuesday and talk to the math teacher about this problem, I'm thinking of having him held back,or should I just see if they can put him with a tutor for the rest of second grade? Theirs no way at all he'll be ready for 3rd grade.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:10 PM on Feb. 15, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• start with a tutor. see if you can get a tutor now and through summer. if there isnt a vast improvement i would suggest holding him back. my brother had the same problem at that age. it turned out for him that he couldnt hear well. they had to put tubes in his ears. have the doctor check that out, because alot of problems with speech and stuff start with hearing. if it is his hearing then thats a simple solution. i know with my brother it never seemed like a hearing problem because he always responded to questions, but thats because he learned how to read lips to go with the sound. im not trying to worry you, im just saying its something you can look into. but i would definitely get a tutor now to start helping him, even if its an after school tutor. they can help greatly. good luck!
    Amanduhpanda

Answer by Amanduhpanda at 1:20 PM on Feb. 15, 2009

• Is he getting extra help in school? If he's struggling that much then he should be on some sort of learning plan.

My daughter was in speech from K to 3rd grade. In the beginning she had a bit of trouble with spelling and reading because of it. Second grade was an extremely rough year for her. She made it but it wasn't easy. By third grade something clicked and she had a decent year. Fourth grade for her has been a dream. I never thought we'd make it to this point.

Go to the school, talk with his teachers and try to come up with ways to help him. Good luck
    InsanitySpeaks

Answer by InsanitySpeaks at 1:42 PM on Feb. 15, 2009

• Insanityspeaks is right - if he is struggling that much, the school should have called you in and developed a learning plan, around here they call it an Academic Improvement Plan. I would start with a tutor, sometimes just a little extra one on one attention, focused directly on the trouble spots, can make an amazing difference. I would start there, and reevaluate at the end of the yr. If there's been no improvement, then consider retaining him. If there's been some improvement, but maybe not as much as you want, then perhaps continue the tutoring thru the summer and reevaluate 2-3 weeks before school starts. Also, try really paying attention to what he struggles with and how he struggles. I have found sometimes my son struggles with something b/c the explanation doesn't quite click with him; as soon as I give a slightly different explanation, it'll come together for him.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 4:34 PM on Feb. 15, 2009

• At my school, we have a process called STAT. This is an at least 3 week process that has the teacher plan an academic intervention and document how progress is being made. Its kind of an Academic Improvement Plan. If the student does not show improvement, they are discussed with a committee to decide further action. Sometimes this is testing for learning disabilities. I am not saying your child has any problems. I am saying this process has helped students in my school get extra assistance when they need it. Ask the teacher about this.
    Also, I have had best results with parents that are helpful at home. Please do all you can to help the teacher. They will go above and beyond for a supportive parent.
    Positive support works best, so keep encouraging your child, no matter how defeated they feel.
    Last, set up a meeting with the teacher later in the year to discuss retention. You might not find it necessary in 5 months.
    afdavis27

Answer by afdavis27 at 12:23 AM on Feb. 16, 2009

• I would ask for an evaluation and see if he needs further help, special education, speech therapy. I can't believe the teacher would send him on to 3rd grade when he is so far behind. My son is in special ed and is repeating 1st grade curriculum in a 2nd / 3rd grade combo class. There are only 11 kids in his class and the teacher has two aides. Seek whatever help he needs. Good luck.
    tiggermom803

Answer by tiggermom803 at 2:57 AM on Feb. 16, 2009