Why is my cat throwing up so often?

I have a 9 year old male cat. It seems to my hubby and I that he's throwing up his food a lot recently. (Like a few times a week) He is indoor only, so he doesn't have access to grass - and his vomit only contains food, sometimes whole pieces but not really any furballs. He only eats dry cat food - Purina Cat Chow to be exact. He has been eating this food since he was a year old.

Does he need to eat senior cat food now? Or do you think he has a stomach problem that a vet needs to be aware of?

Pollymom

Asked by Pollymom at 1:14 PM on Feb. 15, 2009 in Pets

• he may be gorging (spelling?) when hes eating. my cat started doing the same thing and we had the same problem. we just started leaving food in the bowl constantly that way he doesnt eat a ton at once. however, you may still want to go get him checked out. im sure its nothing, but its always good to get a professional opinion. as long as hes not losing tons of weight then im sure hes fine
    Amanduhpanda

Answer by Amanduhpanda at 1:16 PM on Feb. 15, 2009

• Feeding a cat canned pumpkin is supposed to help with this. They sometimes like it well enough to eat it plain, but if they don't, add beef or chicken broth.
    FlyMom07

Answer by FlyMom07 at 1:18 PM on Feb. 15, 2009

• How much is he eating? If he's overeating that could be why. If you're free feeding him then maybe smaller meals a couple times a day would help.
    InsanitySpeaks

Answer by InsanitySpeaks at 1:49 PM on Feb. 15, 2009

• It could be a hairball stuck in his digestive tract and he throw up trying to get it out. This happened frequently to our cat. You can try the sensitive stomach foods. Since this is a change of behavior it would be a good idea to get him checked by a vet.

Answer by Bmat at 2:13 PM on Feb. 15, 2009

• Could be a hairball or it could be serious. We had a cat about 3 yrs ago who kept throwing up and she was losing weight. Turns out, she had a parasite that had to be treated with meds.
    Anonymous

• Excessive vomiting can be a sign of a serious intestinal disorder. He could have a bowel obstruction (actually very common), he could have pancreatitis, he could have a slew of health issues.

Your best bet is to take him to the vet, so please please do so, and let us know what they say.
    Arkaidy

Answer by Arkaidy at 9:23 PM on Feb. 15, 2009

• He could have a sensitive stomach. I don't give my cat Purina Cat Chow because he has sensitive skin and it was making it worse. I switched him to the Healthful Life with Nutro Natural Choice mixed in there and it's been helping him, for whatever reason I could only get him to eat the Nutro with the Healthful Life in there. He is rather picky and for whatever reason likes cheaper foods. I also give him raw chicken and beef. I don't know how economical that would be for you though. We go to the butcher and it's generally cheaper.
    OneToughMami

Answer by OneToughMami at 3:55 AM on Feb. 16, 2009