• In the Spotlight:

Should I feed my baby Cereal in is bottle?

My son was born on Jan,7th 2009 he was a healty 10.2 lbs! Now he is 14 pounds eating 5-6oz every 2-3 hours. He always acts as though he is not getting enough food. We are going through so much formula just trying to keep him full. Everyone keeps telling me to put Cereal in is bottle but Im not sure with him being so young. I havent asked the Pedi yet but Im sure he would be agains this. But Gah do u just let him starve?

Mrs.Smith84

Asked by Mrs.Smith84 at 1:16 PM on Feb. 15, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Well he is a little young and you could get him constipated but if you tried a tiny bit you could see. I'm not sure....might wait a bit longer.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 1:24 PM on Feb. 15, 2009

• The tummy is not ready until 4 months minimum. He is at the ripe age for a growth spurt too. If he were breastfeeding he would be nursing a lot to stimulate more supply. Bottle fed babies do not lose that instinct. Keep feeding him what he wants.
    ColleenF30

Answer by ColleenF30 at 1:24 PM on Feb. 15, 2009

• You could try a tablespoon of rice cereal. See how he handles it, then increase to two if needed, etc. Don't use other cereals because they will not be easily digested. He is such a big baby that he may just need more food, but if his weight gain is too much the cereal may be necessary. If his weight drops or doesn't increase at the proper rate don't fill him up with cereal, just continue to feed more formula / breast milk.
    FlyMom07

Answer by FlyMom07 at 1:44 PM on Feb. 15, 2009

• no i would not put it in his bottle try a spoon or two and yes start with rice
    jodi205

Answer by jodi205 at 1:54 PM on Feb. 15, 2009

• NO!!!!!! If he's hungry, just give more formula. And even if you did do cereal, NEVER in a bottle.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 1:57 PM on Feb. 15, 2009

• No it's dangerous. Feed it off a spoon or give him more formula more often.
    Anonymous

• This is from www.drgreen.com and it is exactly what my kids pediatricians have always said:

It is interesting to note that children who begin solid foods with rice cereal in their bottles don't learn the instinct of stopping when they are full. This is because deceptively large amounts of calories come in without much increase in volume. As a result, kids that are fed rice cereal in a bottle tend to have excessive weight gain, both as infants and later in life. Other than that, children are very good at regulating their own intake. By starting with a spoon, resting between bites, and stopping when your child is full, you will be laying an excellent foundation for good eating habits throughout his life.

Also, my daughter's pediatrician said that starting on some solids, to include rice cereal, too early can cause them to have allergies. Which could be why my oldest son has SO many allergies, from seasonal to skin. I'd say no.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 2:10 PM on Feb. 15, 2009

• Your child is way to young for cereal. My DD gained weight fast in the first 3mos and then leveled off. Babies eat a lot in the first few months, then they start eating more at a sitting and feel full longer. This is what its like to have a newborn. Being full longer will only make your life easier and stress his digestive system.
    Farrahann

Answer by Farrahann at 2:26 PM on Feb. 15, 2009

• All three of my dd were fed rice cereal in their bottles. Every one of them have grown up to be slender adults. I can't see how this would be dangerous when one tablespoon of rice cereal hardly changes the consistency -a spoon-fed lump though..?? Adding rice cereal, but giving the same amount would lower calories. Formula has many more calories than rice cereal. Rice cereal is thicker, and would do exactly the opposite of what pp said, which is, increase the density, while decreasing calories. Usually you don't want to increase density while decreasing calories because the formula, in addition to having more calories, provides better nutrition. But in this case, if the baby's nutrition needs are being met, but he is still hungry, this may be necessary to provide satiety without over feeding. Cereal is not recommended until 4 months - but not dangerous. The reason I said, see how he handles it, and watch his weight.
    FlyMom07

Answer by FlyMom07 at 2:41 PM on Feb. 15, 2009

• I started giving my daugher cereal at 3 months. I use a scoop from a formula can and put about half a scoop in her bottles. She's 7 months now and has oatmeal in her bottles for naps and bedtime. And she isn't overweight or "harmed" by cereal. I keep seeing that cereal is "dangerous" and I think it's ridiculous. Read teh can/box. It SAYS to mix it with formula to "desired consistancy." There is no "too much" or "too little".. Everyone is so afraid of everything. How did our parents raise us and their parents raise them.

My grandma always says, "What did we do BEFORE there was formula???" Think about it. :P
    MommyHess

Answer by MommyHess at 3:27 PM on Feb. 15, 2009