How many religions actually,

Go out of their way to convert people? How many send out missionaries to spread thier religion? Just curious.

skinnyslokita

Asked by skinnyslokita at 1:52 PM on Feb. 24, 2013 in Religion & Beliefs

• That's a good question. I have no idea so I'll be interested to see. I know, as you do, that the Mormon's are heavy on missionary work and many other Christ based denominations but I'm not sure about non-Christian groups.
    Mrs_Prissy

Answer by Mrs_Prissy at 1:55 PM on Feb. 24, 2013

• Well in my experience it has only been the religions of the Abrahamic faith, specifically Christian, that have gone out of their way to send missionaries etc to spread their "faith". To be more specific it is the Jehovah Witnesses and Mormons, if we want to talk denominations. I have never been approached by any non-Christian religion (even Abrahamic ones) in attempts for conversion. Though I am also aware of other Christian denominations that send missionaries to "third world" countries.

KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 2:03 PM on Feb. 24, 2013

• Too many!!
    Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 2:03 PM on Feb. 24, 2013

• I have only had JW come to my home (not my Religion & wasn't interested). No one from any other Religion. I have never ever been approached in public by anyone trying to convert me to any Religion either. I guess it's more prevalent in other parts of the country by all that I read here on CM & the complaints about trying to be converted. It seems odd to me.

ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 2:12 PM on Feb. 24, 2013

• Interesting question ans one that I do not know the answer to.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 2:40 PM on Feb. 24, 2013

• Christians directly. Islam has, at times, indirectly (you didn't have to convert, but you couldn't be a full citizen unless you did). They're the only ones.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 2:52 PM on Feb. 24, 2013

• In my experience (the US viewpoint), minus obvious cults, mainly only Christian denominations: JV's, Mormons & to a lesser extent Baptists & Methodists (I grew up in the south). But, also in certain areas of the country, Scientologists do actively try to convert.

3libras

Answer by 3libras at 4:02 PM on Feb. 24, 2013

• Christianity and Islam are probably the 2 largest proselytizing religions.
    The Baha'i faith encourages proselytizing, but not by force.
    Contrary to the misconception of those who speak of the Abrahamic faith as proselytizing, Judaism is not a proselytizing religion and it doesn't encourage conversion. On fact, converting is very difficult.
    momto2boys973

Answer by momto2boys973 at 5:28 PM on Feb. 24, 2013

• "Too many!!"

Actually, no. Very few religions seek to actively convert people. This misconception comes from the fact that the 2 largest- Christianity and Islam- practice proselytism, but in reality they are pretty much the only 2 that do.
    momto2boys973

Answer by momto2boys973 at 5:31 PM on Feb. 24, 2013

• Jehovah's Witnesses, Jews for Jesus, and small, fundamentalist churches are the only ones around here who do active proselytizing in this area. Missionary work is a different issue entirely. Lots of Christian sects do that.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 6:51 PM on Feb. 24, 2013