How to convience a man to clean up the basement & garage?

my dh shall clean up the basement&garage, where is lots of stuff (old papers etc. which in my opinions shall go good-bye), but he's not really for doing it all. My husband knows it should look better there but he is not the kind of a guy who rolls his sleevs.. he keeps memories with those things, where he was, what he's had read about etc... And he does not want me to do the tossing&cleanning job either. What would you say or do to be done with it? Advise please. thanks

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:46 PM on Feb. 24, 2013 in Home & Garden

• Hide his keys and his wallet inside the mess somewhere. Say he has to clean it up to find them.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 3:22 PM on Feb. 24, 2013

• Can you give him a space to keep his things and request that they aren't spread all over? Maybe that will be a compromise.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 2:51 PM on Feb. 24, 2013

• Get clear totes and place them in there so he can see them and you can feel like it is more organized. Ask for his help and see if you two can work together. If nothing else, offer him "special"  incentives     wink mini

LeJane

Answer by LeJane at 4:06 PM on Feb. 24, 2013

• I would not force someone to throw out something they feel is important to them. How about getting some strong boxes or some storage containers so they can at least be stacked & kept out of the way.

mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 2:50 PM on Feb. 24, 2013

• I always start to do it and then DH shows up to make sure I am not "messing" with his "important" stuff. That always does the trick and it gets done. You could get some plastic bins with covers for his momentos and then at least they are in one place.
    silverthreads

Answer by silverthreads at 3:38 PM on Feb. 24, 2013

• If he does not want to part with the stuff he holds for memories will he be open to having help in organizing it so he can still have it but it is kept in a better way.
    virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 2:50 PM on Feb. 24, 2013

• He's a hoarder. He needs help to work thru the feelings associated with the items.
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 4:03 PM on Feb. 24, 2013

• Hire someone to throw it all out, tell him they will be there in 24 hours, and he gets to save 2 boxes worth of crap, except the mower, weed trimmer, blah blah.
    jerseydiva

Answer by jerseydiva at 5:53 PM on Feb. 24, 2013

• If I get tired of it(the mess). I will clean it up. I will start tossing shit out while he is not home.

Answer by louise2 at 6:27 PM on Feb. 24, 2013