straw sippies or non straw sippies?

someone was telling me that the straw ones are bad for them......my kids use both straw sippies AND the ones that they tip....i am just wondering if one is better than the other

MommyOf2kids67

Asked by MommyOf2kids67 at 2:04 PM on Feb. 15, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• well IMO, I find the straw ones hard to clean. Especially the ones that have the flip up straw lid. AS far as the disposable ones(like from WalmArt) that have the detachable plastic straw, I would wait until they are 3-4. I have a fear of my 2 yr old drinking out of a cup with a straw in it, getting down and walking around with it and falling on the straw. Crazy I know.

Better safe than sorry and wait for a little while until they are older.
    sahmof3boys

Answer by sahmof3boys at 2:15 PM on Feb. 15, 2009

• Either, I would have no idea as to why straws would be bad? My son uses both but prefers the straws, think because it makes him feel like a big boy. He's 1 and has been drinking from a straw since 7 mo. Munchkins makes the cups with the soft straws that don't leak and you don't have to worry about your child falling on the straw. Costco has a 4 pack right now for $10.
    Anonymous

• Straw cups can be a pain to clean, depending on the style. It's actually better for their oral motor development that they be able to use a straw...
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 2:28 PM on Feb. 15, 2009

• Dentists actually prefer straw use as it puts the drink (and any sugar in it, even from milk) behind the teeth instead of flooding them. Other than that, different drinking methods (sippy cup vs. straw vs. regular cup) work different mouth muscles, which can help with talking. I've never heard that straws are worse, though.
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 2:34 PM on Feb. 15, 2009

• DD uses the straw cups.
    ZaTa

Answer by ZaTa at 3:30 PM on Feb. 15, 2009

• I was also going to say that dentist recommend straws cause it causes the liquids to have less contact with their teeth. But the straw ones are a pain in the rear to get clean.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 3:40 PM on Feb. 15, 2009

• that's silly..how are straws bad for kids?..it might be bad for you to have to clean it up. Anyways, use them interchangbly so the kids don't become dependent on one or the other.
    Anonymous

• I know a woman who has 3 children, all of them have some kind of speech problem, and she told me that the pt (or whoever it is that works with them) told her not to give them regular sippy cups but use straws bc it can cause speech problems (and if they already have them it could just make it worse).
    We used the regular ones when my daughter was younger, but now we've moved her onto the cups with lids.
    Anonymous

• she said the dentist said there was too much plaque buildup and she said she uses the straw sippies and he said that could be the cause i always thought the straws were better and yeas they are a big pain in the ass to clean but i like them a lot better they dont spill as much as the other ones to IMO
    MommyOf2kids67

Answer by MommyOf2kids67 at 9:35 PM on Feb. 15, 2009

• i prefer him to drink outta the soft tip nuby sippy cups...then that way he can carry it around the house and if he shakes it..it doesn't leak usually....and i'll let him use the sippy cups with the straws if he's eating in his highchair only because they aren't leak proof
    onehotmama629

Answer by onehotmama629 at 11:50 PM on Feb. 15, 2009