Taking other peoples children to church....

Now some of you know but heres some back round. Due to unfortunate events that accured and a nurse who has since admitted she had an ax to grind, and a case worker who really needs love in her life, My kids were taken by CPS , Since then the judge has seen in our favor and reunification is set to start with in 60days. We have a new case worker who is eager to close the case as he sees no founding in it what so ever. So thank fully things are going good in that aspect. However here is the rub...

CPS has been having my kids go to all kinds of specialist up until my new case worker stopped it. Now this would normally be fine if they were doing it for the benefit of the children instead they were trying to see if the kids have issues they can hit me with in court. Now of course they is nothing there except my oldest daughter who was born with issues. However they still put the kids through evasive and traumatizing percedures for no reason... Do you think this should be allowed to happen? How would you react if it were your kids?

Second issue is we do not go to church I did not want to expose my children to it until they were old enough to understand. However the homes the kids are in they are going to church every sunday. Which that on its own I could suck up except they are now telling dad that because he doesnt believe in god or go to church he is wrong and bad. Totally not ok which that attitude is what I wanted to aviod. So should they place the children in families that go against the parents own religious choices? Would this upset you as well? Let's say your Christian and you kids were places in a pagan home and started following those believes would that upset you? How should they handle religious beliefs?

hot-mama86

Asked by hot-mama86 at 5:26 PM on Feb. 24, 2013 in Religious Debate

• My understanding of the system is if CPS has custody of your kids you have no say in what happens to them. are they objecting,if not the caseworker and the adults probably think they are OK in going. Again,no experience and just my understanding.
    RobinChristine

Answer by RobinChristine at 5:42 PM on Feb. 24, 2013

• Unfortunately, your children were in a position where they were placed with a temporary foster home. Luckily, there was another family who was able to care for your children while this unfortunate circumstance happened. They took time out of their life to care for children who were not theirs. I wouldn't expect them to stop their life (going to church), however, I do think it was VERY wrong and inappropriate for them to tell your children that their parents are wrong and bad because they don't go to church/believe in God.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 5:46 PM on Feb. 24, 2013

• Why on earth would they take an additional 60 days to reunify if the case wasn't supported? THAT is what I'd be fighting.

Having said that, I do not know that you have any rights whatsoever with regard to what they are doing (church, therapy, etc) while they are in the custody of CPS. You don't have custody of them so I would think that your rights as a parent would be voided at that point?
    Mrs_Prissy

Answer by Mrs_Prissy at 5:48 PM on Feb. 24, 2013

• Ideally they shouldn't, but there are only so many foster homes to go around. I do wonder if anyone has taken it to court - realistically, as an agent of the state, should any foster parent be allowed to teach religion to fosters when they are being paid to give that care?
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 5:49 PM on Feb. 24, 2013

I THINK you missed the question. I was asking more if they should find placement that better fits to our beliefs? Never said I didn't appreciate the families. One I do the other thankfully my kids are out of there and with family now but they split my kids and apparently the girls foster dad was abusing them so that family can suck a fat one no offense.
    hot-mama86

Comment by hot-mama86 (original poster) at 5:56 PM on Feb. 24, 2013

• I THINK you missed the question. Nope, didn't miss it at all. CPS first concern is placing the child(ren) in a safe home, not in one that fits the parents belief system. That would make it much harder to find temporary homes for children.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 6:02 PM on Feb. 24, 2013

Unfortunately the last worker we had did not come to our home for house visits So they have no documentation of what we have or have not done which they need. As well They have not yet given us half the programs they wish us to do let alone a parent aide untill those are all in place they can not start reunification. So basically its a matter of them dragging their feet.

NP that is kind of my thought as well. Foster parents more or less work for the government should this not be part of separating religion from state?
    hot-mama86

Comment by hot-mama86 (original poster) at 6:07 PM on Feb. 24, 2013

Yes I agree with this however I have issues with believing it is their main concern. My children were safe and not being abused in my home yet they placed my girls in an abusive home. Now that they are no longer there they say there is no real need to dig to deep in the claims really wtf. That foster home currently has new children in it. Are they really so concerned about protecting the kids?
    hot-mama86

Comment by hot-mama86 (original poster) at 6:09 PM on Feb. 24, 2013

• Personally, I would raise hell if there was abuse in the foster home. Do you have any proof of it? Is there any way to make a claim?

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 6:12 PM on Feb. 24, 2013

• OP, my husband and I are foster parents and in our state we cannot force any foster child to enter a religious institution. We can tell them where we would like to go and they can agree to accompany us, but if that child objects to attending a religious service with a foster parent they cannot be forced to attend. Obviously there are different ways that this will play out depending on the children's ages but no ward of the state can be forced to attend any religious service/event that makes them uncomfortable. (Again this is in my state, I can't speak for where you are.) I doubt you will make much ground fighting the whole church thing but you better believe I would be fighting the 60 days and I would be suing people up the wazzu for putting you and your family through this. Get a really good lawyer, it will be a hell of a battle.
    Anonymous