Does anyone have a therapy dog?

Today I was at a b-day party with my kids and they had this super cute lap dog that loved me and sat in my lap the entire time. This got me thinking I was extremely relaxed when this dog was with me.
I have manic depressive disorder. I have tried 4 different anti-depressants all made me worse, so I go unmedicated. Lately my moods have been getting worse and more frequent. When I go to my dark place I try to avoid my kids. I interact with them and make sure all their needs are met but I still keep my distance. Friday I had a break down and it was bad.
My insurance only covers two sessions of therapy and I can't afford anymore. I have looked into help and it's either in the next county or I make just a little to much to get other help. There is no support groups in my area either.
I thought maybe a therapy dog would help me, one that helps with mental illness.
My question is, how hard is it to get one? Where do I start looking?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:04 PM on Feb. 24, 2013 in Health

• Talk to your therapist they should be able to recommend local therapy dog groups or your local SPCA. Also don't know if you are religious, but may churches and religious organizations offer free or reduced price therapy for those in need. Talk to your local church for a list of programs that could help you control your condition.
    amandajoy21

Answer by amandajoy21 at 9:07 PM on Feb. 24, 2013

• I don't have a therapist. I didn't bother seeking one since so little sessions are covered. I am not at all religious.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 9:09 PM on Feb. 24, 2013

• Dealing with manic depressive disorder is going to take more than a friendly dog, but start with this link.

http://herizenfyre-ivil.tripod.com/helperdogs/id4.html

Copy the link into your browser.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 10:11 PM on Feb. 24, 2013

• when i was dealing with depression, i adopted a shelter dog...best decision ever, she never leaves my side....it's like she knows i need her as much as she needs me. i love my baby :)
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 7:58 AM on Feb. 25, 2013

• I've thought about getting my chihuahua licensed to be a therapy dog for myself. I suffer from anxiety and having him with me helps me greatly. I would speak with your doctor about it and look into adopting a dog. I think it's a great idea!
    Nos4

Answer by Nos4 at 10:27 AM on Feb. 25, 2013