My daughter is going to be 6 and she is a drama queen, She throws over anything and everything. I've tried ignoring it, I've tried giving her more one on one time but nothing seems to help. Any suggestions?

Mommyof21020

Asked by Mommyof21020 at 9:19 PM on Feb. 24, 2013 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Continue to ignore the tantrums. They get her precisely NOTHING. No attention, no anything. Make sure she cannot hurt herself, but otherwise she doesn't exist for as long as the tantrum continues.

I sort of like Dr Phil's tantrum method when it happens in public... mom melts into the crowd and joins the bunch of people staring and sharing their heads over the child.

Answer by gdiamante at 9:22 PM on Feb. 24, 2013

• She's throwing up all the time??? Talk to her doc!!!
    Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 9:22 PM on Feb. 24, 2013

• What happens when you ignore her? Nothing? Then keep on ignoring her; she'll get tired of her fit.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 9:24 PM on Feb. 24, 2013

• I agree with gdiamante. I would just sit her bottom down and say something like, "Hey, you're six now, so it's time to quit with your tantrums because you're a big girl." Explain to her you're done and what she can expect if she pitches a fit. And then no matter where you are, STICK to it. If it's at a restaurant, grocery store, whatever, drop what you're doing and walk out. Usually this only takes one or two times before the message is received and do not give in.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 9:32 PM on Feb. 24, 2013

• No Crafty, not throwing up, throwing tantrums.

My daughter will be 6 in a couple of weeks and does the same thing. We just ignore them.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 10:06 PM on Feb. 24, 2013

• Met throwing fits not throwing up .. Thanks for your imput
    Mommyof21020

Comment by Mommyof21020 (original poster) at 10:24 PM on Feb. 24, 2013

• I agree with the idea that I don't need to ignore my child's feelings. I had an experience with my 4yo son who went outside dressed in shorts, a baseball cap, a short-sleeved shirt, and a (light) spring jacket to shovel snow. He also was tromping in MY snow boots (too big.) I called him in to make some changes since it wasn't OK with me. He was resistant; I told him my limit & acknowledged that reasonable or not, it was what I was insisting on based on my own beliefs & feelings. I would not allow him back outside without a few changes.
    He refused & was upset. His feelings made sense in the situation. He tried to go out anyway; I held the limit. This frustrated him further. I acknowledged his feelings. There was space for all of them (including anger & crying/protest) without being wrong or punishable (or ignorable.) He reached internal resolution, then got his boots, coat & a knit hat.
    The "time in" concept is very positive.
    girlwithC

Answer by girlwithC at 1:41 PM on Feb. 26, 2013