I made my own laundry detergent!

I'm doing my first load... Towels now my house smells amazing I hope it works.
How manyoff you make your own. Share your ingredients if you want here is mine :)

1 (4 lb 12 oz) Box of Borax- Found in the detergent aisle
1 (3 lb 7 oz) Box of Arm & Hammer Super Washing Soda- Found in the detergent aisle
1 (3 lb) Container of OxyClean- Found in the detergent aisle. (This is optional but I highly recommend adding it)
2 (14.1 oz) Bars of Zote Soap- Found in the detergent aisle (we chose to do pink for the scent but the white would be just fine. You can also use Fels Naptha)
1 (4 lb) Box of Arm & Hammer Baking Soda- Found in the cooking aisle (You could also get two 2 lb box, we couldn’t find the larger 4lb box when we went)
1-2 (55 oz) Bottle of Purex Crystals Fabric Softener- Found in the detergent aisle (This is 100% optional. Like I said, my laundry detergent must smell good and I really like soft towels)

skinnyslokita

Asked by skinnyslokita at 9:42 PM on Feb. 24, 2013 in Home & Garden

• I do mine with the washing soda, borax,and Fels Naptha soap

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 9:50 PM on Feb. 24, 2013

• Wow, that's great. Sounds like a lot of work. Does it last along time?
    RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 9:54 PM on Feb. 24, 2013

• The lady said it last her a year. She does 4-6 loads of laundry a week. For everything it was 28 dollars so I thought what the heck why not. I buy tide so It cost a lot.
    skinnyslokita

Comment by skinnyslokita (original poster) at 10:16 PM on Feb. 24, 2013

• Let me know how it works! Can this be used in HE machines? I would not use any scents. I would get a rash and have to post a picture on cafemom.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 10:38 PM on Feb. 24, 2013

• I'm not sure staci here's the site http://www.howdoesshe.com/cheaper-and-better-diy-laundry-detergent/. It smells amazing though they are in the dryer now so I'll let you guys know tomorrow how it worked.
    skinnyslokita

Comment by skinnyslokita (original poster) at 10:44 PM on Feb. 24, 2013

• cool
    letstalk747

Answer by letstalk747 at 11:08 PM on Feb. 24, 2013

• How many loads do you think you'll be able to do with what you made for $28? So the homemade detergent lasts a year in the box or pail or whatever you made it in? It's a powder then? Is it more eco-friendly than Tide or All or the other commercial brands?
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 11:54 PM on Feb. 24, 2013

• Oh, and I forgot, ca it be used in the new high effiiency machines?
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 11:55 PM on Feb. 24, 2013

• I'm not sure about what Machines it can be used in. Basically it filled up 4 and a half 50 fl oz tide detergent and yes it's powder. You only need 2-4 table spoons for each load so I think it will last awhile. My thoughts are even if it goes at the same rate at my liquid detergent I still saved more money this way but like I said the lady said it last a year on 6 loads a week.
    skinnyslokita

Comment by skinnyslokita (original poster) at 12:51 PM on Feb. 25, 2013

• Oh and my load came out smelling good and seems to work just as good as tide.
    skinnyslokita

Comment by skinnyslokita (original poster) at 12:52 PM on Feb. 25, 2013