Can anyone tell me how to program my GPS to calculate a certain route ?

I pick up my daughter from College to bring her home on breaks and Holidays, and do not want to go through the route the GPS gives. I would prefer less traffic and to go where there are not 7 and 8 lanes of rush hour drivers going 80 and 90 mph.

susieq1974

Asked by susieq1974 at 11:59 PM on Feb. 24, 2013 in Technology

• Hit the button that says choose alternative route.
    funlovinlady

Answer by funlovinlady at 12:04 AM on Feb. 25, 2013

• read the manual or Google it...
    Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 12:04 AM on Feb. 25, 2013

• Mine is a Garmin, Nuvi and doesn't have a button for alternative route, I wish it did! The manual has been worthless for this issue. I am going to try googling it now! thanks.
    susieq1974

Comment by susieq1974 (original poster) at 12:07 AM on Feb. 25, 2013

• you can always drive the way you know and it will keep rerouting you
    LostInMyMind

Answer by LostInMyMind at 12:38 AM on Feb. 25, 2013

• It's called DETOUR or AVOID.

If you know the basic way you want to go, just go that way, and the GPS will adjust and get you to your destination.

Mapquest is also handy. Pick an address that is along the route you want to take, put THAT in the GPS as a via point (well as your final destination), and that's the route it will take.
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 12:51 AM on Feb. 25, 2013

• Mine allows me to choose an alternative route, or to click a button that says something like "detour" or "avoid" and enter what I want to go around.

There has to be something. I don't even look in the manual. I just went in the menus and played around to find out what was there and how it worked.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 8:24 AM on Feb. 25, 2013