5month old "chewing" why?

My 5month old is starting to move his jaw and tongue like he's chewing. I'm wondering why he's doing that. He is eating cereal and is being introduced to fruits and veggies. He's also teething. I was wondering if it has to do with either of those... or is he practicing/mimicking my family when they eat? I'm not worried about it just curious as to why he's doing this.

Did/do anyone else's babies do this?

alinker

Asked by alinker at 2:25 PM on Feb. 15, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Practicing. It does take alot of effort to fine tune the muscles to move likethat and to learn to swallow.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 8:22 PM on Feb. 15, 2009

• My baby does that, but I guess that's just how they develop. I'm not worried at all. They have instincts and they have to learn to chew some time...
    I have even started feeding Evan little tiny bits of bread or something at the table because he is learning to chew now. I really don't think it's anything to worry about
    CassCass

Answer by CassCass at 2:34 PM on Feb. 15, 2009

• My daughter did/does that. I think it's cute. She started doing it during dinner time when we were eating and it kinda said to me that she was ready for solids. So she eats dinner with us. We always joke that she looks like an old lady who took her teeth out when she does that . .. lol.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 2:59 PM on Feb. 15, 2009

• My daughter started doing this when she got her first tooth. Have you spotted one yet?
    MommyHess

Answer by MommyHess at 3:29 PM on Feb. 15, 2009

• my ds did that, and still does once in a while, not very often. It looks like he's chewing gum, and now that he's mobile, when he does it I have to run over and say "AH" and check if there Is something in his mouth. Its just an instinct or part of a babies development I guess
    Anonymous

• My daughter did this (a little later than 5 mo. though) and I thought she was just mimicking chewing motions but in hindsight, I think she was trying to talk. It wasn't too long after that she started doing the chewing motion and adding her voice to it. Then it was "da da da da....ba ba ba ba...etc."
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 3:37 PM on Feb. 15, 2009

• ANGIE409: I didn't think about that. You could very well be right. My daughter doesn't bable yet, but she's still very vocal. She shreiks and laughs and coos. Maybe that's it.
    MommyHess

Answer by MommyHess at 3:46 PM on Feb. 15, 2009

• MY BABY DOES IT AS WELL. I AM GUESSING THAT THEY ARE LEARNING HOW TO MOVE THERE JAWS AND IT IS SOMETHING NEW FOR THEM. MY SON NOW EATS WITH A SPOON AND OPENS HIS MOUTH A LOT EASIER THAN BEFORE. I GUESS ITS JUST THERE WAY OF PRACTICING
    js3mommy

Answer by js3mommy at 4:10 PM on Feb. 15, 2009

• That makes sense! It's so cute when he does it I just wasn't sure why he did. Everything on here makes perfect sense though!
    alinker

Answer by alinker at 11:45 PM on Feb. 15, 2009