Rice in a bottle?

Someone said its dangerous to feed babies rice in a bottle. I have never heard that before, and I did it just for a little while with my baby. Why is it dangerous?

CassCass

Asked by CassCass at 2:43 PM on Feb. 15, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Although what colleen said makes more sense than most, I don't think it is dangerous, if done correctly. I think all the hubub results from people not trusting moms to do it right, so they just say not to do it at all. Generally, it is not a good idea to bulk up a baby's food with something that is less nutritious. Though cereal may be necessary if the baby's nutritional needs are being met, yet they are still hungry. In these cases, if you add just enough cereal so that the formula remains very liquid there is no danger of choking. If this were dangerous why would doctors recommend it to help with reflux? In this case the cereal would actually help keep the baby from aspirating because they would be less likely to spit up.
    FlyMom07

Answer by FlyMom07 at 3:11 PM on Feb. 15, 2009

• well i don't know why it's dangerous, maybe cuz they can choke on it easier? but you're not supposed to so they get taught early how to use a spoon, and how to use their tongue.
    Anonymous

• They can aspirate it into their lungs. Just liquid will stay liquid and they can cough it out. Rice cereal sets up like concrete after awhile.
    ColleenF30

Answer by ColleenF30 at 2:57 PM on Feb. 15, 2009

• flymom07 - This is why if anyone wants to put cereal in their bottles i always just recommend Enfami AR, it already has cereal in it, and it's the perfect amount. IMO opinion though, I don't think cereal should be put in bottles at all.
    Anonymous

• I just posted the answer to the other question a few before this:

I started giving my daugher cereal at 3 months. I use a scoop from a formula can and put about half a scoop in her bottles. She's 7 months now and has oatmeal in her bottles for naps and bedtime. And she isn't overweight or "harmed" by cereal. I keep seeing that cereal is "dangerous" and I think it's ridiculous. Read teh can/box. It SAYS to mix it with formula to "desired consistancy." There is no "too much" or "too little".. Everyone is so afraid of everything. How did our parents raise us and their parents raise them.

My grandma always says, "What did we do BEFORE there was formula???" Think about it. :P
    MommyHess

Answer by MommyHess at 3:29 PM on Feb. 15, 2009

• I read that if baby isn't developmentally ready to take cereal on a spoon, then they're not physiologically ready to take it in a bottle. Lots of moms do it though and I've never heard of anyone having a problem with it. How old is your baby? Have you tried a spoon? If you make it really watery and rest the spoon on their lower lip, they'll sort of suck it down if they're ready.
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 3:30 PM on Feb. 15, 2009

• If a doctor recommends it for reflux or some other medical reason...follow his directions for it.

Other than that, there just isn't any reason to put it in a bottle. Just mix it up and feed it with a spoon.

As for "dangerous"....that's really too strong a word. It can create a choking hazard, but it's not really going to put their lives in danger...
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 3:56 PM on Feb. 15, 2009

• "My grandma always says, "What did we do BEFORE there was formula???" "

Babies were breastfed.

Or they died.

Answer by gdiamante at 4:19 PM on Feb. 15, 2009

• More may have died before there was formula, but if a baby wasn't breastfed, there were other options. Not the best especially by your standards, but babies could survive on these other options.

Do your research before you start touting your crap.
    Anonymous

• I think it's a choking hazard...especially if you leave the bottle/baby propped up. If moms are so concerned about how hungry their kid is or making it sleep longer, why can't they take the 5 minutes to feed it with a spoon. It's recommended & safer. They don't really even need rice cereal, it can bind them up & doesn't serve up much nutrition.
    Anonymous