For family of acoholics/drug abuse: How can a marriage survive alcoholism?

My husband's job is on the line an d our marriage is in turmoil. Due to his binges his supervisors insist on treatment, he has agreed. I was planning on leaving, I vowed never to let my children grow up in an alcoholic family as I have, hence the divorce. I love him, but w/out trust or hope how am I suppose to support him. I know if I do leave treatment will mean nothing w/out a family to come home to. I on the otherhand find it difficult that it will work. What would you do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:44 PM on Feb. 15, 2009 in Relationships

• Go to a few Al-Anon meetings and talk it out with other family members of alcoholics. If you think your marriage will work if your DH stops drinking then be honest with him and tell him you are willing to work on it as long as he is sober but you are out the door the first time he cracks a beer.
    Anonymous

• Give him another chance. It is already a big step for him to agree on treatment. I have been living with one for many years and he has been sober for seven years, but I still have the FEAR!! He had given me many "promises", and fortunately he has kept the last one so far... I can definetely feel your pain, but don't lose your hope. AA meetings help a lot and will help you as well. It is not going to be easy but can be possible!
    Good luck and lot's of PATIENCE!!!
    Kleo187

Answer by Kleo187 at 3:00 PM on Feb. 15, 2009

• my dad was an alcoholic for 17years (of my life) he chose to get help and my mom decided to give him that 1 chance. when he came home and was sober things were wonderful their marriage was better us kids were happier and things went much more smoothly......the only problem is someone struggling with addiction can relapse at any moment and sad to say he did. he still is not at the point where he was a few years ago but my mom has already given him the ultimatum go get help again or im out. i really think he deserves this one shot. if he is taking advantage of it or you find that he is again drinking them go forward with a divorce, at least thats what i would do. good luck and god bless
    Kennadismom

Answer by Kennadismom at 4:07 PM on Feb. 15, 2009

• I live with an alcoholic and let me tell u it's not fun In fact I have rented my own place and will be moveing there this week.He holds a job and is wonderful to be with when not drinking but when he decides to consume look out ass from hell he don't get physical it's mental abuse I have gave him many chances and now they are all gone after a while u still love them but you have to love yourself more.One day he will realize what he had I will get better and he will more than likely get worse.
    Anonymous

• PRAY! i dont know where you are with God but remember through God all things are possible!!!!
    woobie102

Answer by woobie102 at 9:32 PM on Feb. 15, 2009