Are you the authority on your religion?

Meaning anyone who contradicts you or points out things they disagree with are "anti" your religion?

Can someone be "anti" your religion while also practicing your religion?

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 7:35 AM on Feb. 25, 2013 in Religious Debate

• If people don't agree with what I believe, fine but I don't want them shoving their beliefs down my throat. I don't do it to them so....
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 7:50 AM on Feb. 25, 2013

• Well, since I don't have a set religion, I can't be an authority on it. I mean, how can one know everything about something that doesn't exist?...........GASP, OH!................Wait I'm getting to philosophical here prior to drinking any coffee.
    3libras

Answer by 3libras at 8:03 AM on Feb. 25, 2013

• Not agreeing is part of human interaction and helps us define our own beliefs. It often comes down to how people disagree. If someone is interested in having a sincere discussion about beliefs and practices I'm very interested. This is rarely the case though.
    RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 8:38 AM on Feb. 25, 2013

• Nope, not even close, I know what my own limitations are. If someone disagrees with me, well it's just that they disagreed with me. IMO, when someone points fingers and such, it says more about the person pointing the finger than the one they are pointing at.
    mommy_jules

Answer by mommy_jules at 9:16 AM on Feb. 25, 2013

• Usually those that have that mentality (If you're not with me you're against me) are the biggest hypocrites. Whether it is from them whining that if one doesn't know or respect the traditions of other religions (that one admits they don't practice) they should leave things alone, while throwing out a meaningful offering left on Catholic grounds by someone else; to claiming anyone who cheats on his wife is not a "real Christian" and forgetting to mention they are an adulterer; to claiming anyone who doesn't agree with them is "anti" their religion. Hypocrites ought to learn it's best not to throw stones, especially when they live in glass houses, and that they'd be better off keeping their mouth SHUT in areas they hold no authority.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 9:41 AM on Feb. 25, 2013

• nope not at all
    luvmygrandbaby

Answer by luvmygrandbaby at 12:27 PM on Feb. 25, 2013

• There are some who know less than I do and many, many who know more, as with anything.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 12:32 PM on Feb. 25, 2013

• I'm no authority - I'm just me, I speak for myself. I'm a little knowledgeable, as I've taken time to study about the history of my religion, etc. I don't think someone who disagrees or has a different interpretation is necessarily "anti" my religion. Some truly do believe that Jesus intended something different than what I believe he intended. Such people wouldn't be "anti" my faith, we're all just trying our best to be true to what we understand. Now people who seem to outright bash the religion and refuse to concede anything other than their own negative view - like those who insist that God is an evil murderous person, etc, etc, and use the one stereotypical, boxed in view, to prove how awful my religion is, without even caring that that does NOT reflect what I, and many other Christians, actually believe - those kinds of people seem to be anti-religion to the point of intellectual dishonesty ;)
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 1:34 PM on Feb. 25, 2013

• im the authority on what i believe, but i dont really have a religion anymore. when ppl criticize my piano playing ability i dont assume they are anti-piano, or when a teacher critiques my paper i dont think they are anti-me. its usually pretty obvious when someone is against a religion...it goes beyond just disagreeing.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 2:08 PM on Feb. 25, 2013

• Lots of people do not agree with what I believe or with religion at all. Thieir choice.
    I am pretty familiar with the rules and guidelines of my Church and am comfortable saying what Catholics are supposed to follow/believe. There is always going to be some one who does not believe in some aspect of the church doctrine.
    I would feel comfortable in saying that I do not believe XYZ is actually a Church law but a guideline or whatever. I also know where to go look for answers if I am not sure.

Am I an authority? That is a harder thing to define as it implies that you have some sort of position or title or sanction. I have taught religious classes and led adult religion classes. but that does not make me an authority on Catholicism.
    I am an authority on how I feel about a subject though.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 2:39 PM on Feb. 25, 2013