labor pains

Can anyone explain how labor pains feel or how contractions feel? I would like to know b/c i want to have my baby naturally and I just want to know what to expect so I can prepare myself. I have a high tolerance for pain and i have heard good and bad stories of gettin and epi and I just want to do it naturally.

mzQ

Asked by mzQ at 3:17 PM on Feb. 15, 2009 in Pregnancy

• It varies, but I would say that like braxton hicks-- a tightening, that increased in intensity over time. These became stronger & more frequent. And like menstrual cramps or diarrhea at first.

Knowing what to expect is good, and training yourself to let go & surrender is very helpful. If you can learn about the process and have someone with you while going through it (SO, doula), you can be reassured that you're doing it right, that this is okay, etc. You will stay strong!
    :-)
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 3:23 PM on Feb. 15, 2009

• It is different for everyone. I had pitocin induced contractions, but up until transitioning they were like bad menstrual cramps with more abdominal pressure lol. Very easy to manage! During transition is when it got bad, but I am 100 percent positive it was the pitocin and being immobile. Had I been able to move, get in a different position, it wouldn't have been so bad. :)

If you truly want to go natural you should read books such as Hypnobirthing, or the Bradley Method, as well as "Birthing From Within"! Everyone's body responds differently to labor, and some people never feel pain at all: my goal for this birth which will be at home!
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 3:24 PM on Feb. 15, 2009

• The key is to relax. The pain is greater if you are tense and scared. It is really difficult to describe labor pains. Everyone is different. I had a lot of pain and 13 hours of labor with my first, and almost no pain and only 1 1/2 hours labor with my twins. The difference? I knew what to expect. I didn't panic. The first time I was scared. No pain meds but they gave me a mild tranquilizer to calm me after the first 12 1/2 hours and she was born right away. Take Lamaze classes to learn how to breathe and calm yourself. And don't panic...you'll be fine.
    FlyMom07

Answer by FlyMom07 at 3:26 PM on Feb. 15, 2009