Ever feel like people are being mean just because they can?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:31 AM on Feb. 25, 2013 in Relationships

• I think some people like to purposefully act like twats because they comfortable under the guise of anon.

And, yes some (using their SN's) are more blunt that others. Whether they do it because "they can" or it's simply a misunderstanding due to a lack of context & emotion being available, could be debated all day.
    3libras

Answer by 3libras at 10:46 AM on Feb. 25, 2013

• I'm mean, oh well. If people weren't idiots, I wouldn't have a reason to be mean.
    funlovinlady

Answer by funlovinlady at 11:11 AM on Feb. 25, 2013

• . I think people could and should practice a little more kindness on this site.

If you paid attention, you'd notice that when someone posts a legitimate, serious problem, they get serious answers. When people post here's a gigantic Maury style problem that is totally my own fault but I want you all to tell me it's not, they get the answers they've really asked for.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 11:40 AM on Feb. 25, 2013

• KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 10:40 AM on Feb. 25, 2013

• Maybe, maybe not. That's all too often debated question here on Answers. Are they being a jerk just because they have the Anon option? If the Anon option were removed, would that stop people from being jerks? Probably not. I think the internet in general created a way for people to say things without facing consequences (or so they think). Let's face it, you can create an anonymous profile with no personal information on most any site. Topix is the one that amazes me. Most realize you can be prosecuted by your words, but they just don't believe that anyone would take the time to do so. I, personally, know someone that is in fact in jail for threatening someone on Topix. Thank God he's in jail because I'm quite sure he murdered his wife too.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 10:38 AM on Feb. 25, 2013

• On CM, you mean? Sometimes. But, I think some responses that people take offense to are meant sarcastically, & it's hard to tell when it's just text. & when you see an exceptionally stupid question from an anon or a new account, it's really hard to not assume the person is a troll.
    KA91

Answer by KA91 at 10:45 AM on Feb. 25, 2013

• awww did you get your feelings hurt?

No, I think people are mean after some one does something that triggers a reaction but then of course I have been accused of being one of the meanest on here so , maybe so who knows.
    luvmygrandbaby

Answer by luvmygrandbaby at 10:35 AM on Feb. 25, 2013

• points
    FreeForAll

Answer by FreeForAll at 10:38 AM on Feb. 25, 2013

• Sometimes. I see it with members that use screen names and also from those that use anon. Sometimes it's a matter of perspective and not being able to read tone, while other times it reads more like an obvious personal attack. I mostly just try to stay out of it anymore.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 11:48 AM on Feb. 25, 2013

• ^^. Ha ha. I've always loved that saying.

The way I see it is I am going to give my opinion in a way that I would want it given to me. If someone is a serial poster asking the same question over and over, the answers are going to get more abrasive as time goes on because it is eventually obvious that kindness doesn't seem to allow the message to sink in. All in all this is a public forum and people are free to answer as they like (within TOS and guidelines of course). You just have to learn how to take the good and leave the rest.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 12:53 PM on Feb. 25, 2013