New physician appointment questions?

Tomorrow I finally get in to see a new physician. It's been a while since I have seen a "new" Dr. My current Dr. is somewhat of a quack. He had me on all sorts of things, trying new meds for every different symptom. I want to start out fresh with this new Dr.... Would you explain everything this other Dr. thought, prescribed and why the treatment did not work in your "new patient" appointment?

m-avi

Asked by m-avi at 11:05 AM on Feb. 25, 2013 in Health

• Focus on making sure he knows what issues you're concerned about. That will probably include what other treatments you've had, but let him draw the conclusions on whether the treatment you got was called for. Don't make it about the other doctor, but do make sure he knows what you're trying to fix.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 11:50 AM on Feb. 25, 2013

• I would start off with a clean slate. I don't know whether your medical records are being transferred or not.
    But, I'd rather the new Dr not be influenced by the old Dr.
    PMSMom10

Answer by PMSMom10 at 11:08 AM on Feb. 25, 2013

• I don't know, I'm kind of torn. I kind of agree with PMS, to not have the new dr influenced by the old. But on the other hand, if you don't tell him what's been tried before, and then he suggests things you've already tried, you either have to try them again (a waste of time) or tell him it's been tried and failed - and then it could look like you're just trying to get a specific result (drugs, for example). Maybe tell him "I've seen another doctor, who's tried to treat me for this and I feel that his methods aren't standard. Can you tell me what you would recommend, so I can see if it's in line?" That way, he knows you've tried other stuff, but doesn't know what's been tried so he can't be influenced?
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 11:13 AM on Feb. 25, 2013

• No. Your new doctor starts afresh. If he/she asks questions relating to your past experience with the previous doctor, answer them as neutrally as you can - truth without opinion.
    teeay

Answer by teeay at 11:15 AM on Feb. 25, 2013

• I would start fresh and see what he comes up with, you will be asked a lot of questions on a form and in person. Treat this as a second opinion and not bring up the other issues with the previous doctor. Be honest about how you are feeling you will probably get a full checkup.
    sunshine196

Answer by sunshine196 at 11:19 AM on Feb. 25, 2013

• I would start out with your symptoms and go from there. Don't make it about saying what a quack the other doctor was, which could make the new one defensive. But I agree with Wendy that you ought to let the new doc know you've tried some things previously. If he starts recommending treatments and you begin saying no, tried that, and that, and that, then he may start to wonder if you're after something specific.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 11:54 AM on Feb. 25, 2013

• Excellent PMS. Thanks!
    m-avi

Comment by m-avi (original poster) at 11:10 AM on Feb. 25, 2013

• Great advice. Thanks guys.
    m-avi

Comment by m-avi (original poster) at 11:18 AM on Feb. 25, 2013