My idea on how to get my son to try harder at school

Lately my sons schoolwork has been sloppy, and I can tell he put very little effort into it. Hes in kindergarten. Ive seen him write his letters at home and he does a wonderful job. So im thinking the next time his schoolwork is sloppy ill have him re-do the entire page, and ill say "now wouldnt it be easier just to try a little harder at school so you dont have to do it again at home?" What do you ladies think?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:39 PM on Feb. 25, 2013 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Too many distractions & he's in a hurry to finish up. That's a hard age & unless the teacher has an aide in the room, he will learn eventually that he's tired of redoing stuff & slow down to do a better job the 1st time.

mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 1:45 PM on Feb. 25, 2013

• Yes, and add a reward for doing it right the first time, if he doesn't do it right the first time, take something away. It sounds like he may be a bit bored, and needs a challenge?
    jerseydiva

Answer by jerseydiva at 1:47 PM on Feb. 25, 2013

• why are people so obsessed with their childrens writing, I dont know. If I can read it then its fine. Doctors and most but not all men have horrible writing. Battles people pick them wisely.
    Anonymous

• Anon- if he's in Kindergarten- wouldn't it be best to nip the penmanship thing early?! Obviously the teacher thinks so. As far as Dr.'s that's why they are going to digital script pads, so people aren't given the wrong meds. Penmanship is important- so it needs to be addressed.

mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 1:51 PM on Feb. 25, 2013

• Penmanship is very important, especially when they get to grades where they have to take standardized tests and writing is one of them.
    I would imagine it would only take a few times of him having to redo the whole sheet to get him back on track.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 1:54 PM on Feb. 25, 2013

• I dont agree, they are already taking cursive out of schoolds because TYPE is not in cursive. Eventually they wont have to write anything anyways so, I prefer to focus on the important things such as learning to read, do math, the regular classes that just get harder. Writing inproves as they grow.
    Anonymous

• If he COULDN'T DO IT, that is one thing, but he CAN do it, so if he WON'T do it, that is being lazy, 100% different than not being able to or needing more practice.
    jerseydiva

Answer by jerseydiva at 1:58 PM on Feb. 25, 2013

• Yes, you have a great idea. The problem isn't penmanship, it's the laziness and you need to nip that in the bud!

Answer by missanc at 2:02 PM on Feb. 25, 2013

• calm down jersey damn! its an opinion
    i parent my way you parent your way
    Anonymous

• yes, i was lazy too and my mom made me re-do my homework all the time. i HATED it but i did it. i think it's a good idea.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 2:06 PM on Feb. 25, 2013