Juice @ 7 months?

My mom and my fiance's mom have both purchased apple juice to give to my 7-month-old daughter and I have instructed them not to give it to her. I don't know what the ruling is on this. I've asked 2 doctors. One said yes, one said no. I'm uncomforable with it, but I don't really know why. My mom's very nosey friend said I could give it to her at 3 months (which is when my mom bought it) and when I told her "NO, NOT MY KID" she argued with me.

Thoughts?

MommyHess

Asked by MommyHess at 3:57 PM on Feb. 15, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/solids/baby-juice.html

The American Academy of Pediatrics has recently released a policy statement recommending that babies younger than 6 months should not be given any juice, children aged 6 months to 6 years should get no more than 4-6 ounces per day, and children older than 7 should have no more than 8-12 ounces of juice daily.

It's really your choice at this point. Juice really is not needed and more of a treat. It's consintrated fruit sugars. Tell her your pediatrition said no, and you are follwing his medical advice on this, if you don't want to give juice to your little one.

Cassieniccole

Answer by Cassieniccole at 4:03 PM on Feb. 15, 2009

• its your child never do anything you are not 100% comfortable with! explain that its your child and you will give juice when your ready
    Kennadismom

Answer by Kennadismom at 3:59 PM on Feb. 15, 2009

• My daughter is two and I still don't give her juice-just milk and water. Young children don't really need juice so if you are uncomfortable with it I would just do what felt right:)

Good luck with your mother and her nosey friend!
    Anonymous

• That's pretty much what I did. But I'm curious when I can give it to her. I always just figured I'd avoid sugar until 12 months, but we give her other things that my doctor would probably have a cow over. Like putting cream cheese on the tip of my finger so she can taste it.. (Don't hurt me!)
    MommyHess

Answer by MommyHess at 4:01 PM on Feb. 15, 2009

• Like I always say juice is baby crack. I think docs now say 4oz a day is ok. Its really just a lot of sugar. She should be having breast milk/formula.
    Farrahann

Answer by Farrahann at 4:01 PM on Feb. 15, 2009