Should I be concerned or not?

I have a 14 yo daughter who rarely gets txts from other girls. Txting is 98% started by her. She seems to have friends, but no one close & is never invited over to other girl's houses or get together's. I have asked a couple teachers and they say she is friendly and gets along with other girls at school. Is this common at this age or should I be worried?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:25 PM on Feb. 25, 2013 in Teens (13-17)

• Are her friends active in sports or clubs? Is your dau in any activities? I wouldn't worry about the texting thing, but the not being invited to do things is a bit concerning. Has she talked to you about these concerns? Can you allow her to have a get together at your house?
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 2:28 PM on Feb. 25, 2013

• does she seem sad or depressed about it? If not, I wouldn't worry that much about it
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 2:31 PM on Feb. 25, 2013

• Is she in extracurricular activities? Maybe that would be better for her. I think all this texting is taking away the need for close personal relationships. Get her enrolled in an activity even if she volunteers somewhere like the Library. This way she gets to interact with others face to face.

ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 2:32 PM on Feb. 25, 2013

• What has she said about it?
    virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 2:33 PM on Feb. 25, 2013

• You know how many people I texted at 14, 0. My parents wouldn't allow us to have cell phones for anything other than extracurricular activities.
    Unless she states otherwise I wouldn't worry about it. School is more than a "popularity contest between peers".
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 2:52 PM on Feb. 25, 2013

• Has she tried inviting girls over to her house? If she isn't worried about it, then she's fine. If she is, try to find a way to help her connect - through extracurricular activities, school clubs, etc.

Answer by missanc at 3:22 PM on Feb. 25, 2013

• Is she really pretty like stands out among other girls her age? If so other girls could be jealous and not know how to handle being around someone pretty and friendly. Plus she doesn't need a whole bunch of associates, just a few real friends and that can take time to find. If she is ok and not depressed or having self esteem issues because of it, dont worry. Use it to your advantage to build a better closer relationship with her :)
    Shanetta R.

Answer by Shanetta R. at 4:54 AM on Feb. 26, 2013

• Thanks for all your comments. She isn't bothered by it and says she has friends at school & in sports. Yes, she is in soccer, track & basketball. We live 5 miles away but I don't think that should be a problem for her having friends over or others having her over it just doesn't happen so maybe it does matter to the parents to drive that far. I guess it bothers me as I see how much she is missing as other girls get together & don't include her. I wonder if she has friends but just 'no connection' like no best friend either.

Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 10:32 AM on Feb. 26, 2013