Breast pumps....whats the difference?

What is the difference between a 40 dollar breast pump and a 200 dollar breast pump? Does it pump milk faster, is it more comfortable? There is a big price difference in these pumps I'm wondering what the big difference is? Does anyone know? **** I guess what I really want to know is if I buy the more expensive one will it pump milk faster? Will it pump more milk?

milf661

Asked by milf661 at 3:48 PM on Feb. 25, 2013 in General Parenting

• I bought an inexpensive Evenflo pump when I had my son. I felt it was noisy and was lost power rather quickly. Frankly, I had better results with the manual pump I bought towards the end. If I had to do it all over again, I would look into renting a hospital-grade pump.
    hootie826

Answer by hootie826 at 3:55 PM on Feb. 25, 2013

• my manual pump has done fine for me but i don't work. insurances are covering the good pumps, look into that.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 3:58 PM on Feb. 25, 2013

• Now that I have two hands to type, I was breastfeeding, different pumps are totally different. The right one for you is dependant on how often you will use it and if you need hands-free, dual-pumping or high output. Like I said, my hand pump takes less than 5 minutes per breast and I can keep it in my purse and use it anywhere. The pump in styles come in carrying cases so you can take them with you but they are much bigger, louder and use battery packs or plug-ins.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 4:35 PM on Feb. 25, 2013

• Manual- is great for the occasional pumping to go out or let dad feed.
    battery pump- good for when more frequent pumping is needed. They are louder (generally) and don't have many settings as far suction ( generally)
    electric- great for working others or full time pumpers. It has several settings that can be adjusted as your body needs. A double pump can actually help with breast milk production ( to an extent)

I had a hand pump with DS and an electric with DD... I would take my medela any day of the week. I bought a used one and replaced all the parts that touch the milk. Best purchase ever.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 7:49 PM on Feb. 25, 2013

• A high efficiency electric pump with bells and hoses for both breasts was a lifesaver for me. I could pump in less than half the time with a steady rhythm and a lot more comfort. The hand pump actually gave me a lot of thumb and wrist pain. As it was, with the double-sided electric, I figured out that I would have sat in a chair being milked for three solid weeks over a year if I'd done it all at once! Twice that amount would have killed me.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 10:33 PM on Feb. 25, 2013

• Generally you get what you pay for. Evenflo has a couple of nasty nicknames: Evilflo and the Nipple Shredder.

Full time working mom? Spend the bucks. Ameda Purely Yours is $150 and is a closed system, meaning no milk can back up into the motor and cause mold problems. Hygeia Enjoye is a bit pricer, also closed system.

SAHM? Avent Isis. $40. Manual pump and perfect for occasional pumping.

Answer by gdiamante at 12:55 AM on Feb. 26, 2013