Needing advice about chronic testicle pain.

My 11 year old has been diagnosed with chronic testicle pain. He has gone through extensive testing to find a possible cause, and I suppose I am thankful that nothing serious has been found. According to the urologist, this is a rare condition that involves an irregular grouping of nerves in the scrotum. The level of pain varies from day to day, although he is not in pain every day. Some days he appears obviously and understandably uncomfortable, but he is able to at least walk around. Other days he can double over and moan in pain. Since we have learned that his testicles are not in danger, we've both been a little less concerned, but I still feel bad when my little guy is hurting down there. He says he is learning to deal with the pain and he and his cousins (both of whom are female) joke around about it. My question is, are any other moms out there dealing with this? What suggestions would anyone have as to helping him?

Ashbear336

Asked by Ashbear336 at 3:59 PM on Feb. 25, 2013 in Tweens (9-12)

• Stop letting him get kicked in the balls.
    Anonymous

• The only thing that makes me wary of this question is that you say "ball pain" in the title line. The rest of the story sounds heart breaking. I would do some google searches and maybe you will find other mom's asking about this particular condition. I have never heard of it and think your doctor would be the best reference here. Is there a name for this condition?
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 4:31 PM on Feb. 25, 2013

• Have him try sitting in the bathtub filled with really warm water. This is supposed to help, though I can't speak from personal experience.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 4:53 PM on Feb. 25, 2013

• Thank you for pointing that out. I was not thinking about the title and more focusing on my writing that I didn't even realize what I had wrote. Unfortunately, both the urologist and his pediatrician only suggested tylenol and ice when the pain becomes too much to bear and have not been terribly helpful otherwise. For the anonymous responder, I should clarify that he is not getting kicked in the balls, but rather this is a condition that causes testicular pain without trauma, infection, or torsion. And thank you, NannyB, for the suggestion. I haven't heard that before but we will certainly give it a try.
    Ashbear336

Comment by Ashbear336 (original poster) at 5:26 PM on Feb. 25, 2013

• My sons don't have this. I would try the tylenol - and if that doesn't work, try other pain relievers, like Advil, Aleve, etc and see if you can find something that will do the trick there. I don't know what kind of clothes he wears, but maybe looser jeans or underwear? I know it's pain from the nerves, but maybe looser clothing could help by not applying any pressure to the area.

My only other suggestion is one that I would definitely talk to a doctor about first - Icy Hot. It's used to numb and then warm painful areas. But being such a sensitive area of the body, I would be very hesitant to use it without talking to the doctor first (and I'm not sure how it would feel on the area, so you'd probably want to apply a very light layer, if the doctor says it's worth a shot).
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 5:50 PM on Feb. 25, 2013

• Wow. That's horrible. I suppose when he's older surgery might be an option if it doesn't affect his ability to have children... Maybe once he's further into puberty it will lessen.
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 7:25 PM on Feb. 25, 2013

• Thanks for the responses. Icy Hot and Ben Gay are both out, as the pediatrician warned about using them on his genitals could make the problem worse. Perhaps there will be a surgical option in the future, but currently there is no treatment for this condition except for acute pain. Even then, OTC pain relievers don't seem to do much for that kind of pain.
    Ashbear336

Comment by Ashbear336 (original poster) at 11:04 PM on Feb. 25, 2013