God vs. god

An excellent and thought-provoking article about what's considered "sacred".

The bold highlights are mine in the second and third paragraphs that I especially like and would like to be the focus of this discussion.

God vs. god

February 20, 2013 | Filed under: Commentary,Headlines,Religion,Right Wing Myths | Posted by:

God

"In God we trust." "God bless America." "So help me God." God plays an important part in the life of most Americans. But this column is not about a real Creator. If you cannot accept the idea that there is a difference between a real God who we cannot know and the one we invented, I suggest that you don't read any further. When Nietzsche proclaimed that "god is dead", he was referring to the invented god; the topic of this column.

I believe we created our own version of god in our image and then projected that image onto an imaginary man who lives in another world. When we did this we took the sacred in ourselves and gave it to our invented god. As a result, we unconsciously disowned the sacredness in each other. In doing so, we gave responsibility for our morality to someone else. We made something natural into something supernatural.

This displacement allowed the birth of mythologies that in turn evolved into religions with all the many theologies that became irreconcilable. This irreconcilability has caused more suffering than any other human invention. But make no mistake. It is a human invention. Let me repeat that: our theologies are human inventions and our differences as to who's right and who's wrong would be comical if they weren't so painfully damaging to humanity.

In this simple act of displacement, we gave birth to inhumanity. We allowed evil to be justified on religious grounds. We allowed wars to be fought and millions of humans to be killed and maimed. We allowed uncomprehending, innocent children to starve to death. We allowed the degradation of our only home, planet Earth. We allowed personal greed and ambition to overpower the common good.

It has been claimed, "when god is dead, everything becomes sacred." This god is the small invented god with human characteristics. I believe inhumanity becomes easier to comprehend when we really consider that claim. As long as the sacred is in someplace or someone else, we won't see it in each other. As long as it remains in the supernatural, our constant arguments about whose god is the real and true god will go unresolved.

For if we recognized the sacred in each other, how could we tolerate the damage that we do to one another? If we treated each other with the reverence that we reserve for our invented god, what kind of world could we build?

Today, our country is in moral turmoil. Some call it a culture war. Whatever it is, it hides the real problem. We're arguing about whose morality is the right one. Once again, that displacement of the sacred is the issue that fuels the arguments. Because our theologies and consequently our morality depends on displacing our sacredness onto an imaginary god. When we do this, we only continue to argue about whose moral positions are correct.

If you read this far, you might think I'm an atheist. I'm not. I'm an agnostic, I believe that a real God, if "It" exists, cannot be understood by humans. I believe neither atheist nor theist can prove their arguments. Neither can provide the evidence for their opinions. So the whole discourse only distracts us from what we really need to do. We need to see the sacred in others, nature, and ourselves. When we do this, we can begin to eliminate the misery within which far too many humans live. We can eliminate the judgment that allows us to see suffering and blame it on the victims. Regarding the existence of a real God, we'll all find out for sure soon enough. In the meantime, we might reclaim responsibility for our own morality. We might quit arguing about whose holy book is true. In the process we might create a better world.

Robert DeFilippis

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

What do you think of this article?  Do you think we've displaced the sacredness of ourselves, of each other, and of our planet, giving it to some entity that may or may not exist, but is really unknowable to us?

jsbenkert

Asked by jsbenkert at 5:31 PM on Feb. 25, 2013 in Religious Debate

• Interesting article and I can see soome validity in the thought. I can only speak personally and that is that I see the sacred in most everyone. I will admit that there were a few that I simply could not see it. That may be a lack in me or a lack in them. I can not say which. I do believe in God but I can also see the politics and scheming under the guise of the religious belief (whichever and all) has cause extreme suffering.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 5:38 PM on Feb. 25, 2013

• I'm not a Christian; I'm a pagan. My own personal beliefs are that god(s) or goddess(es) are in everything, including us - grass, trees, the animals, humans.

I can see the author's point. Those who have a Christian (or other belief that has a god that is "distant") religion separate themselves from their god. Some even insert middle men in that distance in the form of ministers, priests, rabbis, etc. And I do think that people do hold a reverence for this god that, if given to other humans, could maybe make a huge difference in how our world is.

Regardless of the rest of the article, though, I definitely agree with one part: That everyone should stop arguing about whose holy book is true and instead create a better world.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 5:39 PM on Feb. 25, 2013

• I believe we created our own version of god in our image and then projected that image onto an imaginary man who lives in another world. When we did this we took the sacred in ourselves and gave it to our invented god. As a result, we unconsciously disowned the sacredness in each other. In doing so, we gave responsibility for our morality to someone else. We made something natural into something supernatural.
    *********************************************************************************
    OMG this is EXACTLY what I feel about "god". What I try to convey in my idea that religion/beliefs in a god allows oneself to forget our sense of humanity and how connected we all really are. And that we all have the power within ourselves to forgive ourselves, love ourselves and forgive and love others.
    This just sums it up so much better than I could ever convey.
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 5:40 PM on Feb. 25, 2013

• "What do you think of this article? Do you think we've displaced the sacredness of ourselves, of each other, and of our planet, giving it to some entity that may or may not exist, but is really unknowable to us?"

I think some have. I personally have certainty in the existence of G-d. It doesn't mean I take away the sacredness that is inside me, my soul. Because of my belief in G-d I see the sacred in all Creation- from the whole Universe to the elements of an atom.
    momto2boys973

Answer by momto2boys973 at 7:19 PM on Feb. 25, 2013

• I believe that God is within. I try, struggle and try again to see the God in all things.
    booklover545

Answer by booklover545 at 11:48 AM on Feb. 26, 2013