Why are people so shocked

When people follow their religions tenets?

If a religion says kill people who eat cows.
Rape women who don't cover themselves.
Stone those who do not worship your god.
Burn adulterers alive.
Those who study science should have their eyes riped out.
You can not marry a man over 25 years of age.
You can not marry a woman older than 16.

Yes these are made up. Say they were written 1000 years ago and now many believers have soften their belifs and are more tolerant. And may not follow these laws anymore.  But say one person believes these rules should be in place still of the above (made up) rules. Why are they considered an extremist? Why not a devote follower?

skinnyslokita

Asked by skinnyslokita at 5:36 PM on Feb. 25, 2013 in Religious Debate

• Can't say for others but my religion tells us that we are subject to the laws of the land. So if the above goes against those laws we are bound not to do them.
    Say in the case of the age issue, that person would have every right to live by that rule and teach it to his children, whether they followed it later is up to them. But it does not violate any US laws. A girl can marry at 16 with consent in most states.
    I guess it depends on how you look at the world.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 5:42 PM on Feb. 25, 2013

• Dard, if the law banned the practice of your religion would you stop?
    skinnyslokita

Comment by skinnyslokita (original poster) at 5:49 PM on Feb. 25, 2013

• So, Dard, if the law of the land said, say, all businesses over a certain amount of employees NEEDS to make such medications as Birth Control available to ALL employees...you'd be totally OK with that in your Catholic beliefs?
    MamaK88

Answer by MamaK88 at 6:04 PM on Feb. 25, 2013

• In the news this week:

In Bangladesh a 14 year old was whipped to death she gave out on the 70th whip. Taken to the hospital died a week or so later.

Her crime (adultery) her punishment NOT legal in Bangladesh it's a religious thing!

How did a 14 year old unwed girl commit adultery?

An old man had his sights on her, her family asked him to leave her alone. One night he caught her walking beat her and raped her. His wife caught them dragged her to their house beat her. Then her public adultery whips from their religious history.

Poor girl!

Devout followers? Or extremist?
    Skepticchick

Answer by Skepticchick at 6:21 PM on Feb. 25, 2013

• I suppose technically, they are both extreme and devout.  Those who have adopted a more liberal interpretation of their holy texts might be seen, as suggested in earlier posts, as "less than" those who follow their religious texts more to the letter.  We consider it extreme for those who follow the more violent interpretations, but it is how the books are written - both Old and New Testaments, as well as the Qu'ran. 

Good question.

jsbenkert

Answer by jsbenkert at 7:14 PM on Feb. 25, 2013

• I don't know about others, but my religion mandates to observe the laws of our country unless they directly prevent us from performing a mitzvah (commandment).
    Now, personally I think that any religion that tells you to murder others is screaming for very deep questioning. Obviously, those religions discourage that questioning as well.
    momto2boys973

Answer by momto2boys973 at 7:16 PM on Feb. 25, 2013

• Now, personally I think that any religion that tells you to murder others is screaming for very deep questioning.

But killings are ok, right? Otherwise you need to chuck out half the OT...
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 8:23 PM on Feb. 25, 2013

• I suppose it is extremine because it infringes on the rights of others. To stone, to rape, to kill all require a victim.
    booklover545

Answer by booklover545 at 11:43 AM on Feb. 26, 2013

• I'm talking about the followers of that religion. Not those that it is imposed on. How extrem is a follower for following thier religions tenets?
    skinnyslokita

Comment by skinnyslokita (original poster) at 1:43 PM on Feb. 26, 2013

• "I'm talking about the followers of that religion. Not those that it is imposed on. How extrem is a follower for following thier religions tenets?"

IMHO, that's extremism. That lack of questioning when someone tells you're supposed to kill and harm others because of your religion is the essence of fanaticism.
    momto2boys973

Answer by momto2boys973 at 3:03 PM on Feb. 26, 2013