My adorable little shoplifter....

Ok so I was at WalMart earlier and I was in the make up section. I had to replace the stuff she got into and made up her wall with eye shadow, blush, liquid make up, and did you know that the Resolve carpet cleaner has to be the most AWESOME cleaner in the world?? It actually cleaned up the mascara she rubbed into the carpet this morning!! Anyway, I saw a few girls I used to work with and I stopped and chatted for awhile. DD was actually pretty good and didn't go running off. So I kept an eye on her, but I didn't realize she was stuffing the little $.99 nail polish bottles into her purse. Along with those little hair ties, those little one color eye shadow and littler other various cheap items you find on the bottom shelf. So about an hour later I check out and pay for my stuff and as I was getting her coat on and mine, a Burton police officer tells me to empty out my purse. I was baffled and I said ok. Well it was clean, then the WalMart security dude walks up and tell the officer it wasn't me it was my 4 yr old. The officer's jaw kinda opened up in shock, and looked at the guard like he suddenly grew another head and became a martian! So I took my dd's purse and took out all the little items and it maybe equaled a total of $4. The cop was pissed and the guard told him I was telling my dd to put the stuff in her purse, then it was my turn to look at him like he grew another head and became a martian. There has been very few times in my life where I was rendered speechless, and this was one of those times. So I demanded to look at the security footage, the guard said I couldn't, so the cop said he would look at it. He came back, shaking his head and tells me go home and he is sorry if he upset me, and I told him it was the guard that pissed me off. So as I leaving, I see the cop talking with the manager, and the guard walking over there. The I see the manager gesturing towards me and dd. He walks over and says sorry and gives me a gift certificate worth $50!!!! I was stunned to say the least!!
So how many of you been through a similar incident??

Michigan-Mom74

Asked by Michigan-Mom74 at 6:09 PM on Feb. 25, 2013 in General Parenting

• Eh, hmmm. I don't think you should be rewarded for her wrong doings. Her little adorable butt needed to be reprimanded right there in front of the officer too.

Kids do that a lot, but it's how you handle it that teaches them the lesson. My 4 year old knows exactly what stealing is and it's serious. I taught her from the beginning that we don't eat food or open toys until it is paid for at the register.

PandaGwen

Answer by PandaGwen at 6:22 PM on Feb. 25, 2013

• Anon, she was being sarcastic when she said adorable. Condescending bitch much!
    funlovinlady

Answer by funlovinlady at 6:17 PM on Feb. 25, 2013

• When our oldest was about that age, he shoplifted a candy bar at the checkout, and I didn't realize it until later. I took him back to the store, up to the same checker where we had checked out, made him apologize for stealing, and paid for what he had taken. Never happened again! And though I can't remember for certain, I'm pretty sure he got his tail busted to boot!
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 6:23 PM on Feb. 25, 2013

• WalMart gives you a 50 dollar gift card after your child steals stuff
    WalMart...another reason not to shop there
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 6:50 PM on Feb. 25, 2013

• so you were rewarded for your child stealing? That is pretty fucked up
    they should have scared your kid shitless
    she evidentally ruined your makeup for you to have to replace it
    so we are looking at a kid who is getting away with shit, and you call her an adorable shoplifter
    there is nothing adorable about shoplifting at any age
    Anonymous

• You shouldn't have accepted it. You,by way of your DD,were in the WRONG

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 6:19 PM on Feb. 25, 2013

• Omg. I would have kicked my kid's ASS.
    FreeForAll

Answer by FreeForAll at 6:19 PM on Feb. 25, 2013

• Wow, I have never been rewarded for my child's bad behavior. I can't believe you would accept a GC when your child stole from that store. I hope you at least disciplined her.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 6:43 PM on Feb. 25, 2013

• I imagine they offered the gift certificate to cover their asses after falsely accusing YOU of stealing, and for their employee being an ass.
    You behaved perfectly in that situation, and I'm sure you gave your DD a talking to when you got her home.
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 7:22 PM on Feb. 25, 2013

• And anon, please tell us of how perfect your kids are. Pfft
    funlovinlady