Tampons, period talk

my daughter will be 7 in May and we've never had body changing talks that got REALLY detailed because I didn't find it age appropriate to talk about blood. She wants to know what tampons are from my bathroom, public bathroom dispensers, etc

When did you have THAT talk?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:32 PM on Feb. 25, 2013 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I would tell her those thing are for females that are older. That she is not old enough to use them yet. I would basicly try not to tell her anything. And hope it works. She doesn't need to know that for about 3 more years.

Answer by louise2 at 6:38 PM on Feb. 25, 2013

• I had the in depth talk with my daughter at 8. It's not uncommon these days for girls to start at 9-10 and I wanted her to have the info well before she needed it. I showed them to her and demonstrated (into my closed fist) how to insert.

Answer by missanc at 6:44 PM on Feb. 25, 2013

• I don't see any reason you can't be honest with her. "Older girls and women have a period every month, and those are tampons that we use to collect the blood from the period." She may or may not ask why we get periods, and you can explain that to her in whatever way you feel is appropriate for her.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 6:55 PM on Feb. 25, 2013

• My DD is 5 and starting to ask more and more questions. As she ask them I answer them with as little detail as she will allow- meaning if I answer until she stops asking. I plan to talk to her about everything at 8 or 9. so if my DD at 7 was asking, I would answer her until she was satisfied.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 6:58 PM on Feb. 25, 2013

• My oldest daughter is 10 and I had the talk with her when she was 8. My youngest DD is 8 but she has a developmental delay. With her, I got books from the library that explains the funny changes that our body goes through. I don't think she understands but, I plan on repeating the conversation again.
    lordsclay

Answer by lordsclay at 7:08 PM on Feb. 25, 2013

• Just FYI, I got the American Girl book "The Care and Keeping of Me" book and my dd and I read 1-2 chapters together every night. It was great at providing information and laying the groundwork for some conversations

Answer by missanc at 8:53 PM on Feb. 25, 2013

• Unfortunately, I had to tell my daughter, who is about to turn five, a little bit because she turned the handle on a dispenser in a public bathroom. When the tampon came out, she started squealing, "Mommy, I won a prize!" Then she said that since her big brother always shared with her when he won a machine prize, she would give hers to him. So I told her it was only for girls because sometimes they got wet between their legs and she said, "Oh, like those diapers you wear with blood on them?" I guess she'd been watching me once when I didn't know it. So I said yes, and she was happy with that. When she asks for more info, I'll give it to her, but hopefully it will be three or four years from now!
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 9:28 PM on Feb. 25, 2013

• I still have not had the detailed talk with my 7yo DD. She knows that pads/tampons for that time of the month that she refers to as "Mommy Time." She knows that there is blood involved and she knows that it will happen to her once she starts getting "boobs" (her words). But I just don't see further detail than that being necessary at this point.
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 10:43 PM on Feb. 25, 2013