Can you teach an adult conflict resolution skills?

Or is there a point where you can't teach an old dog new tricks?

FreeForAll

Asked by FreeForAll at 7:14 PM on Feb. 25, 2013 in Adult Children (18+)

• I think it depends on whether or not they want to learn. Just like anything else. If they want to learn, they'll put in the effort to learn the skills and apply them, and if they don't want to learn, they won't bother and you can't teach them anything.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 7:16 PM on Feb. 25, 2013

• The person who needs to change their behavior has got to see the value in changing, otherwise, forget it.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 7:18 PM on Feb. 25, 2013

• I am a mentor at my work. After a few people came to me and vented about certain people that they work with, I decided to offer a training about conflict resolution and communication styles. That was last week. This week I had several phone calls today where they were crying on the phone because they were unhappy with those "certain people". I guess you can't teach an old dog new tricks.
    JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 8:03 PM on Feb. 25, 2013

• Well, you can teach the an old dog new tricks... if he wants to learn them. Some people are are just hard to get along with and they either don't see it or don't care. Until something happens to make them want to learn these skills they will continue to insist they don't need them.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 8:25 PM on Feb. 25, 2013

• depends on how old the dog is.....but, I am leaning towards no as the main answer here.... from experience of dealing with hard headed know it all family members.
    sarasmommy777

Answer by sarasmommy777 at 8:55 PM on Feb. 25, 2013

• If the dog is an older dog, than I would say, No.
    Anonymous

• I think it depends on whether the old dog wants to learn, or whether he'd rather cry on someone's shoulder because he isn't happy about this or that other person and the way he's getting treated. I've seen some adults learn a lot as far as how to relate to each other, and others not so much.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 9:10 PM on Feb. 25, 2013

• Absolutely you can. My husband and I are both still learning how to better handle conflict. It's surprising how much conflict can be defused when the offended party is willing to step back and take a deep breath before pointing out the fault of the other person. So much of conflict is engrained reaction patterns, but they can always be altered if we are willing to try.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 9:23 PM on Feb. 25, 2013

• Oh yes was a big thing working in large er
    nnmfam

Answer by nnmfam at 10:20 PM on Feb. 25, 2013

• I agree with the others that anyone at any age can learn if they want to learn.

But I also think sometimes even if they are not receptive to learning/changing now, they may be more receptive to it later. I look back at many things I did 5-10-15 years ago and I just wasn't ready to listen to the lessons others were giving me. And I was a bit of an ass. Since then I've learned to deal with things better (including conflict). And I'm sure in another 10-20 years I'll look back at how I am now and think "I was really hard-headed about certain things! Glad I've learned better social skills since then."
    Sebbiemama

Answer by Sebbiemama at 11:09 AM on Feb. 26, 2013