my daughter has a boyfreind at the age of 12 what should i do?

queen1215

Asked by queen1215 at 4:03 PM on Feb. 15, 2009 in Tweens (9-12)

• set limitations. my cousin is 11 and has her first "boyfriend". her parents are said that they can be boyfriend and girlfriend but she is not aloud to "go on a date" and he is not allowed to call her or her call him. they can call each other boyfriend and girlfriend and see each other at school but thats it
    SThompson21

Answer by SThompson21 at 4:06 PM on Feb. 15, 2009

• I would talk to her, and i dont care what people say but if there is a chance that she is gonna have sex then i would get her on the pill.. NOW if no.. if its just like a fake boyfriend then I wouldnt be to worried let them hangout with the door open.. and stuff...
    miss_nevin

Answer by miss_nevin at 4:12 PM on Feb. 15, 2009

• by the way-i agree with miss nevin. i started having sex when i was 13 so its something to think about. good luck momma! :D
    SThompson21

Answer by SThompson21 at 4:14 PM on Feb. 15, 2009

• I had a boyfriend when I was 12. All we did was kiss and hold hands. I had my first french kiss when I was 12. Nothing more than that ever happened. You have to realize too that at this age it probably isn't going to last very long. I would set limits though but don't be too harsh it will just make things harder on you later. It wasn't that long ago that I was 12 trust me.
    Bamzakarat

Answer by Bamzakarat at 4:20 PM on Feb. 15, 2009

• Have that talk. If you have already had it then have it again with some more information.
    mommatime78

Answer by mommatime78 at 5:09 PM on Feb. 15, 2009

• what does "have a boyfriend" mean? they text each other? hang out at school? or call, sit on the couch, and go out together? in my house i've always had a rule of no dating until you're 15. if they're hanging out at school, and calling each other boyfriend & girlfriend, only, then it's probably ok. let her know that you don't think it's ok, and that she's too young, but perhaps you should meet the boy and his family. chances are she'll freak out at the idea of you introducing yourself the them, and cool things off. good luck!
    vickiathome

Answer by vickiathome at 5:37 PM on Feb. 15, 2009

• Well its really sad and very scary to say that kids are doing things lot younger these days. Keep a real good eye on her and make sure she knows she can talk to you about anything. My 11 yr old niece comes to me with those things and trust me I am shocked at how early kids are getting into the whole bf/gf SEX deal!!!!!
    chicanomama

Answer by chicanomama at 5:40 PM on Feb. 15, 2009

• My daughter has a bf. She's nine. He got her a puppy and a ring for V-day. ( i got a trip to the grocery store.)

It's really harmless as long as you are going to parent it. As in watch carefully, TALK to her. I don't agree with having the "talk" this early. I think we overeducate our kids on sex too early and then wonder why they are off doing it. We have set limits (no kissing or alone time, phone conversations take place with an adult present, NO DATES) and I ask her about it a couple of times a week. I take myself out of the "parent' role for these conversations- we do nails or lay down on the floor and watch TV.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 12:42 AM on Feb. 16, 2009

• Don't let her go anywhere that you don't go or unless she is supervised by someone that you know you can trust to watch her. Children should not be allowed to date until they are old enough to know exactly what to look for in a marriage partner. You need to start now teaching her about the necessity of honesty, self-control, dependability, unselfishness in a husband. If you know someone who is a good role model of these character traits, tell her she needs to be looking for a man like that. You cannot leave her own her own and leave her selection to chance. We have to teach our sons and daughters about what to look for and what to avoid. At twelve, she can have no concept of any of this. But it is a sign that you need to get busy and that you need to become very actively involved in this part of her life.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 4:04 PM on Feb. 16, 2009

• CALL ME OLD FASHION BUT I THINK THAT AT 9 OR12YRS OLD THEY SHOULDNT BE TALKING ABOUT BOYFRIENDS! ITS JUST TO YOUNG FOR ME.
    tuty2403

Answer by tuty2403 at 7:49 PM on Feb. 16, 2009