Question about unemployment and job offers (NYS)

I am currently on unemployment. I have been looking for work but haven't found anything in my field. I have an interview tomorrow for a part-time position with an inventory company. My question is - if I am not offered enough hours to equal what I'm making in unemployment, can I turn it down?

Example: Say I'm making $200 per week after taxes...this job pays only $8.50/hr and I would need at least 30 hours per week to make more than my UE. I'm not sure what to do!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:29 PM on Feb. 25, 2013 in Money & Work

• I'm not sure exactly how it works in NYS but in MN you could work and the UE would supplement what you made, as long as it wasn't over your UE amount. So, if you make $300/week in UE but could make $200/week working, they'd continue to give you $100/week in UE until your benefit was exhausted
    Mrs_Prissy

Answer by Mrs_Prissy at 8:37 PM on Feb. 25, 2013

• Yep, what mrs prissy said.... thats how it works in my state
    Nimue930

Answer by Nimue930 at 8:47 PM on Feb. 25, 2013

• Just curious but is the company you we interviewing with called WIS?
    JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 8:50 PM on Feb. 25, 2013

• No, it's RGIS....they're supposedly the largest inventory company in the U.S.

Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 8:51 PM on Feb. 25, 2013

• Call unemployment and ask about part time work. Here in MD you can work part time and get unemployment as well.
    silverthreads

Answer by silverthreads at 7:52 AM on Feb. 26, 2013

• Varies state to state. Here in PA you could take the job and still collect partial unemployment. You would be awarded a set amount of money at the beginning of your claim and if you took partial payments due to finding a job at a lesser pay rate then you simply extended how long you collected that amount. Say you were awarded $10000 at the beginning of your claim and when collected in full weeks it lasted 26 weeks. Well you get a part time job and start collecting half the weekly amount each week. You will now collect that same $10000 but instead of 26 weeks it will be 52 weeks. Good luck.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:08 AM on Feb. 26, 2013

• I agree with Prissy, and I know where I live, you can (or at least you used to be able to, not sure about now) refuse a job if it would pay less than your unemployment. I would call the unemployment office and just ask them to be sure.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 8:21 AM on Feb. 26, 2013

• Talk to the unemployment office and see what they say. Personally if I could make it on what they pay me I'd do it even if it's less money. It helps to build self - estem and may lead to a full time job. It also looks better on a resume that you were working and not unemployed for the time you have the job.
    baconbits

Answer by baconbits at 4:38 PM on Feb. 26, 2013