Christian persecution complex

I'm not going to post the interview, but share the link to it here.

Dr. Candida Moss, author of "The Myth of Persecution: How Early Christians Invented a Story of Martyrdom",  explores the notion of Christian persecution from the very beginning of the religion to now, and the findings are very surprising.

What I've posted here is an interview by Danielle Tumminio with the author.  Don't worry, though, both women claim to be women of faith, so this isn't a heartless trashing of Christianity - just an attempt at an honest look at what Christians have perceived as endless persecution, why they've felt this way, and what it means to their faith.

It's very interesting, and worthy of discussion, I think.

jsbenkert

Asked by jsbenkert at 10:48 PM on Feb. 25, 2013 in Religious Debate

• In short, Christians have a HUGE ego and persecution complex when there are no grounds of persecution. (I'm sure this will be seen as "anti-religion" by a choice few hypocrites)
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 11:06 PM on Feb. 25, 2013

• Not calling your statement an anti-Christian rant, but not all Christians have a huge ego or persecution complex.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:20 AM on Feb. 26, 2013

• but not all Christians have a huge ego or persecution complex.

No, but they are taught to, it takes better with some than others. Take for example the miracle issue. There are those who believe any remotely positive thing that happens in their life is a blessing (by design) and any really good thing is a miracle. That level of self-centeredness doesn't come from a vacuum, it has to be nurtured. Take any Sunday school class that's taught that everything they have is a gift, at the mercy or grace of a higher power. Twenty years later, only 2 may still believe that, but the lesson was distributed to the entire class.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 1:40 AM on Feb. 26, 2013

• Ah yes, the persecution complex so many christian fall victim too. HOw many times have we heard, "Jesus suffered persecution and said we would too. "
    I love this line from the interview:
    "In my opinion, we need to reserve the language of persecution for the situations of violence that truly warrant them."
    I absolutely agree! It's called having perspective AND respect for those that truly do suffer. As has been said time and again, disagreement is HARDLY persecution.

And as I have always said and still believe, a lot of people like to use emotional language, IE: persecution; as it feeds their own warped sense of reality.
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 7:31 AM on Feb. 26, 2013

• I can agree with that NP but viewing everything one has as a blessing is being humble, not having a huge ego. And not sure what that has to do with persecution.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:53 AM on Feb. 26, 2013

• I do think that there's an outspoken minority with very negative views of Christianity, I wouldn't go as far as saying they're being persecuted, but they seem to be needing to defend themselves from more attacks nowadays.
    Whenever I read a religious bashing post, I'm grateful I'm not a Christian because they're the ones that are usually in the receiving end of the attack. I also think they're not used to the bashing, that's why they take it harder.
    momto2boys973

Answer by momto2boys973 at 10:00 AM on Feb. 26, 2013

• I don't feel persecuted as a Christian, quite the opposite. I feel blessed to have been born into a country with religious freedom. However, this isn't the case in many, many countries in the world right now. I'd have to see this author's proof that some of the historical examples of Christian martyrdom were fudged or made up; that a pretty serious claim. To me, it's no surprise when Christians are persecuted then and now. Then, with Rome in control of the Jewish territories, Rome, specifically Herod, didn't care what the Jews believed and allowed them to worship as they pleased as long as they kept to themselves and didn't cause trouble. This wasn't the case with Christianity. It spread and denied the existence of other gods. This denial was offensive to most other religions as was Christians' resolve that their new religion was true. So, it's no surprise that they were persecuted.
    HHx5

Answer by HHx5 at 10:05 AM on Feb. 26, 2013

• I wouldn't go as far as saying they're being persecuted, but they seem to be needing to defend themselves from more attacks nowadays.

By attacks do you mean differing opinions? I hardly call that an "attack". However you have shown the very complex being spoken about int the article regarding the use of language.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 11:23 AM on Feb. 26, 2013

• but viewing everything one has as a blessing is being humble, not having a huge ego

No, viewing everything one has as a blessing is making the conscious choice to decide one is more important or special than those who have less. You are blessed because you have a job, it's a miracle they found the tumor before it spread. Therefore, someone who was laid off isn't as special, and someone who died of cancer wasn't as worth saving.

The persecution complex comes from that same mentality - the flip side of "I'm special because of everything I've been given" is "I'm being persecuted because I've been told no". If you want to find someone who's been persecuted, look at Kristy Bamu or Malala Yousafzai. Not someone who has been told no, you can't refuse to pay for your employees' insurance because some of them want to take birth control.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 1:01 PM on Feb. 26, 2013

• There is a difference between differing opinions and attacks. Differing is saying you don't agree with them. Attacking is saying you're wrong, degarding them, stupid, etc. Most Christians welcome a debate. This is not persecution.

Persecution is what the Romans did to the first Christians when they put them in with the Lions. It's what the Christians did during the Holy Wars. It's what Islam is doing today to anyone who does not believe as they do.

Persecution involves a fear for ones life/belief. Most of what anyone goes thru today is not persecution but it is still wrong when it deny's them the right to believe as they want to and insist you have to compromise your belief or your intolerant, prejudice, etc.
    baconbits

Answer by baconbits at 4:11 PM on Feb. 26, 2013