Can a student get suspended for calling another student a skinny b$%@#?

My 15 yr old was suspened for supposely calling a girl a skinny b&%$# at school. The principal didnt have any proof it was her who said it. The principal was in a crowed lumch room when somone yelled it out. According to her two people told her it was my daughter so she called her to the office and suspended her for 3 days. My daughter said she didint say anything like that and had witnesses to prove it but the principal would not allow her to call them to the office. This say principal has accused my daughter of cutting people in the lunch line. When we didn't have a phone she became angry with my daughter and said she would call child protective services on my husband and myself for neglect if my daughter didn't give her a phone number to reach us at. My daughter use to like going to school and thats rare for a high schooler. Now she doesnt want to go anymore and it's cause of the principal not students. What can I do?

Shanetta R.

Asked by Shanetta R. at 4:47 AM on Feb. 26, 2013 in Teens (13-17)

• You should be able to set up an appointment to see the principal. Also put in writing all your concerns and send it to the principal. Be calm when speaking to the principal, but make it clear you don't believe your daughter is to blame.
    RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 5:17 AM on Feb. 26, 2013

• If your daughter did then at our school swearing is an offense they can suspend for. That being said I would be madder then heck if what you are saying is true and not just what your daughter is telling you. I would be calling to talk with the principal and frankly I would have been doing it when my kid said the principal threatened to call CPS. Be calm and listen to what the principal has to say and don't just assume that your daughter is telling the whole truth.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:02 AM on Feb. 26, 2013

• I would go in and talk to the principal. What reason would the two people who told the principal it was your daughter have for doing that, if it wasn't her? Arrange a meeting with the principal and ask for details of all the situations you mentioned here. Once you have the details of the situations, then you should be able to better determine what your next step should be, whether it's trying to persuade him to change his mind, or going over his head, or maybe even admitting your daughter has done something wrong (not saying she has, just that until you know the details, you don't really know anything for sure).
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 8:04 AM on Feb. 26, 2013

• That seems strict. My best friends son slapped a girl in the face because she was spreading rumors about him, well not rumors it was true but it was something very personal and confidential that she turned into a joke. It was a sick and mean perverted joke btw. The boy got a week of suspension and the girl got a lecture. Bullying needs to be addressed more seriously though imo but I think Saturday school would be better than suspension. Taking kids out of school would be a treat no?
    AnonNdrag

Answer by AnonNdrag at 8:38 AM on Feb. 26, 2013

• Meet with the principal; keep an open mind. But if you really feel you aren't heard, then you can go over his head and talk to someone at the district offices, even the superintendent of schools.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 1:42 PM on Feb. 26, 2013

• Well if she's anything like you (judging from the homophobic remark you posted on my other question), she probably DID say it and deserves to be suspended!
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 2:07 PM on Feb. 26, 2013

• Yes, she sure can. It's called BULLYING or HARASSMENT. Maybe she should learn to keep her mouth shut.
    Anonymous