First Sleepover

My 7yo DD is going on her first friend sleepover this Saturday. One of her best friends is having her 7th birthday party and then the sleepover is that night at her house. I am friends with her mom and trust her to take very good care of my daughter, but I'm still a little freaked out about it.

She has done sleepovers before either with me there (Girl Scouts, cheer, zoo) or at grandparent's house...but this is her first "big girl" sleepover.

When was your kid's first friend sleepover?

AllAboutKeeley

Asked by AllAboutKeeley at 11:00 AM on Feb. 26, 2013 in General Parenting

• My dd slept over with a friend for the first time when she was 6. She had slept over with cousins and gparents before and I was sure she would do fine - but made sure the other mom had my cell number!

Answer by missanc at 11:03 AM on Feb. 26, 2013

• we have had sleepovers here since I have been watching 2 little girls since Raelynn was born so she is used to them here (almost every weekend) but she has yet to want to venture out and I would probably not say yes until she is about 7 or 8
    luvmygrandbaby

Answer by luvmygrandbaby at 11:10 AM on Feb. 26, 2013

• DS had his first sleep over at 5. His best friend's mom is my best friend and the two boys are inseparable mostly. They spend at least one weekend a month either here or over there.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 11:20 AM on Feb. 26, 2013

• My daughter had a sleepover with her cousin a few months ago, but she hasn't had any with friends yet. I don't know any of the parents well enough at this point. She had a bit of trouble separating when she stayed with her cousin, so what I learned from it was to make a cheerful, quick exit and not be drawn into the tears and sniffles because that will quit before you make it to your car, and the kid will have a great time!
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 12:19 PM on Feb. 26, 2013

• My kids are 5 and 3 and they haven't had one yet. Just with the grandparents,. i think I would be freaked out too.
    LostSoul88

Answer by LostSoul88 at 11:01 AM on Feb. 26, 2013

• my oldest is 6 and has yet to have a sleepover with anyone but my parents and one very trusted friend that has a daughter her age. she was 3 when i started letting her go with my friend. we would exchange kids every weekend basically. but as far as having sleepovers with a friend she met at school, whose parents i "know" but don't really "know"- not yet.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 12:09 PM on Feb. 26, 2013

• My dau has done 1 sleep over that wasn't at my mom's house. She gets homesick & prefers to stay home & have people spend the night at our place.

mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 1:39 PM on Feb. 26, 2013

• Little piece of advice, make sure your child has all the necessary creature comforts to prevent you getting that call at midnight that she wants to come home. (ie; pillow, fav. stuffed animal, etc.)

mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 1:41 PM on Feb. 26, 2013

• My daughter will be 9 in about a week, and hasn't yet had her first sleepover experience.

I hope your girl has fun!
    girlwithC

Answer by girlwithC at 5:56 PM on Feb. 26, 2013

• My DD is 6yrs old and still hasn't had a friend (sleep over) here or out. She has been with family only once or twice. She much rather be at home at night.
    It is ok for both of you to be a little worried. She is growing but will always be your baby girl. You can always call and check on her once or twice maybe call and tell her good night. Just so you know she is having a good time and give you a little peace at night.
    Novmeber2006

Answer by Novmeber2006 at 1:55 PM on Mar. 1, 2013