Do you have any "different" family traditions related to your nationality when a baby is born?

I know a Man from Honduras & he said when there is a new baby in the family the Men wipe the sweat off their brow after a hard day of work & rub it on the babies forehead. It is supposed to make the baby grow up strong & healthy. Maybe this is related to introducing bacteria to the baby so they build up a resistance. Have you heard of any other family traditions when a new baby is born? I find these very interesting. Not that I would partake in this particular tradition though. LOL!

ILovemyPaulie

Asked by ILovemyPaulie at 11:23 AM on Feb. 26, 2013 in Babies (0-12 months)

• my husband is mexican and with each of our child (since she died before our second child was born) she put a little red string rolled up and wet it in warm water and placed it on their forehead and put a rosarie on the babies and said a beautiful blessing so my children would also be blessed with strong immune systems and and not get sick for the first year of life ...well needless to say my 3 yr old is very healthy and yet my 2nd baby almost died she was so sick! gosh i miss my mil rip
    mamide02ninas

Answer by mamide02ninas at 11:56 AM on Feb. 26, 2013

• The only one that is even close is that great great grandpa (I think I have the number of greats right) built a cradle, This would be approximately 150 years ago. Every child in my husband's line has been laid in this cradle for at least a short time. It has been cleaned and new mattresses put in over the years. The only one not to be laid in the cradle was DGS because her mother thought it was creapy. lol.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 2:16 PM on Feb. 26, 2013