For stay at home moms

what do you say when someone tells you being a stay at home mom is not a job? i have a friend on fb who says this- and this is her status, tell me what you think...
I really dislike hearing that being a "stay-at-home mom" is the hardest job ever. My mother is the hardest-working woman I know, and she did everything included in being a stay-at-home mom while working full-time at a maximum-security prison filled with some of the worst criminals in the state for over twenty years. She worked all day everyday and still came home every night to cook dinner, do laundry, clean the house, and raise me and my brothers. Stay-at-home mothers are not any better than working mothers just because you spend all day at home with your children. Your children will not be better than children whose mother worked. So please think before you claim that being a stay-at-home mother is the hardest job in the world; some women do everything you do and even more.

firsttimemom733

Asked by firsttimemom733 at 1:12 PM on Feb. 26, 2013 in Money & Work

• First, I'd probably correct your friend and tell her there is no way here mom was a SAHM and a WOHM at the same time...just not possible.

If someone said this to me, I would quickly inform them that I've been both a SAHM and a WOHM and I, personally, feel a SAHM is harder. I take on many more responsibilities on my own as a SAHM than I ever did as a WOHM. Unless you have been both, you cannot say which is harder and which isn't...you can only assume (and we all know what one looks like when they ASSume).
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 1:18 PM on Feb. 26, 2013

• It doesn't matter whether the mom stays at home all day or works all day and then comes home and cleans etc. What matters is that the parent is present and active in the lives of their children. Everything else is just a pissing contest.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 1:16 PM on Feb. 26, 2013

• Before you & your Brothers were old enough to start school, who watched you if your Mom was at work?
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 1:20 PM on Feb. 26, 2013

• It depends on your definition of job. If it is one in which money is exchanged employer to employee, then no SAHM do not have jobs.

If you mean an occupation or a vocation, being a SAHM is a job.

If you mean the amount of work involved, that is irrelavant.

My suggestion is to ignore the posts or block them and go on with your life.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 1:22 PM on Feb. 26, 2013

• You should have put this in parenting debate if you were just posting to rant and stir shit.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 1:22 PM on Feb. 26, 2013

• I think she's entitled to her own opinion.
    hootie826

Answer by hootie826 at 1:19 PM on Feb. 26, 2013

• well, it's not quite the same staying home as it is having to go to work...
    I have done both- both suck for different reasons, and both are good for different reasons...
    Id just ignore the comment
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 1:23 PM on Feb. 26, 2013

• I wouldn't give it a second thought. A good mom does the best she possibly can for her children, whether that means staying home, working, or anything else. Staying home or working outside the home are pretty much irrelevant measurements when it comes to good parenting.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 1:25 PM on Feb. 26, 2013

• Oh goodness - this old debate again? Who really cares as long as the kids are loved and cared for and the parents are happy. For some, being a SAHM is the easiest situation they could have (like me - being a working mom is way harder for me and everyone is less better off), but for others being a working mom is way better and easier (one of my best friends is so much happier now that she's working a demanding job again and juggling parenting with it all). And some have to work or stay home because they just need to - and it really is so much harder for them than the alternative. Totally depends on the situation and the person.

But I do agree that NO ONE should claim that one situation automatically means the kids will be better off or that they are "more of a mom". Smug, judgmental moms of all types piss me off.
    Sebbiemama

Answer by Sebbiemama at 1:31 PM on Feb. 26, 2013