In this scenario,who do you think will get custody after the divorce?

The kid is a 6 year old boy

Mom is 45,has diabetes,neuropathy in her lower limbs,is bipolar,and is on disability. She is also a borderline alcoholic. She takes insulin,but is not consistent with taking her anti-depressants

Dad is also a heavy drinker (Several drinks daily,gets drunk every one of his days off),he works,but was recently unemployed for close to 2 years due to his not wanting an "inferior" job. He has serious anger issues. He has missed several days due to still being drunk when he needs to be in to work at 5:30 am

The dad's parents want nothing to do with ANY of them,the mom's parents are in their late 70's,and in ill health

Sounds like a case of a lesser of 2 evils,doesn't it?

Asked by butterflyblue19 at 1:51 PM on Feb. 26, 2013 in Parenting Debate

• A foster family should

Answer by LostSoul88 at 2:14 PM on Feb. 26, 2013

• In all honesty, I would HOPE CPS, but most courts tend to find in favor of the mother maintaining primary custody so......

Answer by KristiS11384 at 1:54 PM on Feb. 26, 2013

• What I think should happen is the child should go to a responsible human being, what I predict will happen is the mother will get custody.

Answer by jerseydiva at 2:10 PM on Feb. 26, 2013

• The Mom.

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 1:54 PM on Feb. 26, 2013

• Has there ever been any investigation to CPS on either of them? Usually unless the father can deem the mother "unfit" she gets custody.

Answer by 3libras at 1:55 PM on Feb. 26, 2013

• How sad for the little boy. None of the situations sounds good for him, but unless the mom has been deemed unfit, she's probably going to get him.

Answer by Ballad at 2:01 PM on Feb. 26, 2013

• I think it might depend on complaints to the police, CPS etc.

Answer by Dardenella at 2:01 PM on Feb. 26, 2013

• I would say the mom but some states are different

Answer by tandemjunkie at 3:16 PM on Feb. 26, 2013

• Mom will. There is no abuse involved and she has a steady source of income. She may have medical problems and be borderline alcoholic but with no abuse it won't matter. Dad on the other hand has no income, anger issues, etc.

Neither one is ideal and I would predict that within a year child will be removed and placed in foster care with termination coming in 2 - 3 years.

Answer by baconbits at 3:21 PM on Feb. 26, 2013

• Hopefully the mom will get better after the divorce.

Answer by maecntpntz219 at 3:23 PM on Feb. 26, 2013